SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 22 June 2019

Hedgehog House Project!!!

After work this evening, I returned the BOSCH jigsaw I purchased last week to cut out the doorway in my hedgehog home, as my lovely neighbours Ann and Lewis (Lewis to be precise) very kindly offered to cut the hole out of the box for me with his jigsaw! I popped round at 7.30pm and within about 10 minutes, Lewis had cut the doorway out of my hedgehog box!!! Huge thanks to him, made my night!

Took the box back to mine and rasped the edges smooth, put some newly purchased hay in the box and started to put it all together. I stood the box on rows of bricks and then made a porch out of bricks leading up to the entrance door. Covered the entire box in plastic sheeting and then placed large pieces of concrete on top of and around the plastic covered box. I then covered all of this with old leaves, branches, logs etc to make the hedgehog house look natural and inviting for any hedgehogs looking for a potential hoglet home or for winter hibernation. I havn't quite finished it and want to put a piece of slate over the porch entrance and more branches over the roof and sides, so will finish this properly tomorrow. Below are the stages of making my fabulous new hedgehog home!
Hole cut in and hay placed in box

Lidded box for access and cleaning out

Rows of bricks placed to stand box on

Box placed on rows of bricks

Porch made with bricks, ensuring they are butted up tight to box/entrance

Plastic sheeting covered over entire box and then wedged down with concrete

Leaves, twigs, logs, branches placed over top and around box

Hedgehog Box complete, well almost!

No comments:

Post a Comment