SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 16 June 2019

Weekend Update!

I didn't bother posting on Saturday, as there really wasn't anything exciting to write about. I spent Friday evening trying to sort out soggy bird food on the bird table, from the torrential rain we've had and decided my aging bird table was not in a good state anymore. The wood has partly rotted on the table and its not hygienic now. I spent ages trying to clean it, but it smelt horrible and I gave up.

So on Saturday (after catching up on sleep from a busy week at work) I emptied my car and drove to Holme to collect my late mother's RSPB bird table from the family home – it just fitted in my car! I knew it would go in the Skoda, as I purchased it from Titchwell RSPB for my mother last year. I managed to squeeze two big plants in pots into the car too! There are still three big plants in pots to bring back to my house, I will pick those up over the next few weeks.

Popped into Titchwell RSPB to buy two more feeders, bought more bird food from Moulham and Horn at Heacham and headed back to King's Lynn. By the time I had emptied my car and cleaned everything up and put stuff back in the car, it was late afternoon. Moved the old bird table into the back garden, which took ages to do as its very heavy and moved the new bird table (with removable plastic tray, so simple to clean) into place. Put new silver metal cup hooks underneath table and hung all my feeders up – phew, finished! I really wanted to go to Kelling Water Meadows to see the Marsh Warbler, but I felt exhausted and was working on Sunday, so preserved my energy and stayed at home for the evening.

Today was my scheduled Sunday to work and I was too tired to go out this evening. The hedgehog is visiting my garden daily and enjoying my meat based cat food and biscuits – wonderful to watch and especially when it scurries over the patio at great speed! I managed to get a free wooden wine box on Friday evening from a shop in King's Lynn to make my hedgehog house and then purchased a BOSCH Jigsaw to cut a hole out of the box – so my hedgehog home is going to cost more than me buying a ready made one!!! I have yet to cut the hole out, which I'm a little worried about, having never used a jigsaw before! A flock of Starlings are demolishing all the bird food daily and dominating the bird table! My tame female Blackbird is getting a bit too familiar and nearly came into the house yesterday! I needn't have bought my new parasol for the garden to shade me from the hot Summer sun!!! I havn't used it yet and it remains redundant in its waterproof cover! Hopefully it will get some use this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment