SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 11 April 2020

LOCKDOWN DAY 19 – COVID-19

I got up really late. It was very hot today, too hot for me. The heat made me think about my colleagues who are at work today and in all hospitals, having to wear face masks and how insanely hot they must be and how worried they obviously all are. I really hope this pandemic doesn't go on until the serious hot weather hits us – if it does, staff will be collapsing in the heat. I fear that it will go on far longer than we think. The worry and fear about this entire situation, is going to affect so many people's mental health – its not doing me much good at all.

This afternoon I dragged my old bike, a "GT Outpost Trail" out of the shed. I purchased this bike in 1994 – it cost around £300 I seem to remember. This bike has being hidden away in the shed, beneath tons of rubbish for a few years now. It took a while to get it out of the shed. It smelt of rats! Yuck! Yesterday I was thinking about buying a new bike, but it seems it is very difficult to buy a rugged off road bike, where the handle bars are higher than the seat, so after lots of discussion with my local bike shop and browsing on line, I decided to get my current bike serviced and cleaned up. The only bike I fell in love with when searching on line, was an incredibly expensive "Jorvik Odin Low Step Through Electric Mountain Trike (250W)" which was £2,229.99 with 10% off this for NHS – this looks brilliant for stability and looks perfect for my older/retirement years!

So, I walked the bike round to the shop with its two flat tyres and had to wait around half an hour to get in the shop, as someone else was in there already – understandably, only one customer was allowed in the shop at a time. Whilst I stood there, it was quite amazing watching lots of traffic whizzing past, including couples in cars, lads in cars, couples in cars – I just didn't believe that they were all going to the supermarket, none of them were dressed for work either!

Tony the shop owner was extremely helpful (Surf 55) and after pumping up both my tyres, said I didn't need new tubes or tyres, but it could do with a service. So I am paying for it to be serviced, cleaned up (will be far better than I can do), new handle bar grips, new and stronger metal basket going on front (I already have a large rectangular one on the back). Whilst here, I bought a new 'Giant' 'Control Tower 3' bike pump and my first cycling helmet. I have never worn a helmet before, but sensibly decided it was about time I did. My bike will hopefully be ready to collect by next weekend. Walked back home with my new purchases and had to shut the curtains in the kitchen, as it was too hot!

Later on I had to go to the supermarket, which I had been putting off doing, as I hate food shopping at the best of times, but even more so now. I got some requested shopping for Lucy and bought her some flowers and a big gold Lindt Easter Bunny with bell and red ribbon. I dropped all her shopping off for her and placed on clean newspaper on the doorstep, after cleaning each item meticulously with Dettol antibacterial wipes. I phoned the member of staff where she lives, stood back a long way in the car park and the staff member and Lucy came to the door to pick up the shopping. From that distance I gave Lucy my newly developed air hug and kiss. Its so difficult not being able to give her a hug. In case anyone is going to ask, Lucy is a classed as a vulnerable adult and I'm allowed to drop things off for her, but to be honest I'm avoiding doing this hardly at all – in fact this is only the second time I have dropped stuff off. I don't think I will be doing this again at all, as things are getting worse in the hospital – I'll leave you to work out what I mean by that.

Vivien and Ray are surviving ok in Ely, at least they have each other which is good, so I don't feel quite as worried about Vivien, plus we now WhatsApp video call each other, so at least I can see her lounging on the narrow boat! Lucy is finding this all extremely difficult – her paranoia becomes far worse at nights and I have had several very difficult phone calls from her, which is why I decided she needed cheering up with Easter presents – it worked, as I had a lovely text from her later this evening, saying what a lovely unexpected surprise it was. Later on I rang Lucy, who was busy eating two of the four hot cross buns I had dropped off for her. That's my good deed done for the day! I have a Lindt Easter bunny for Vivien, but don't know when she will get it! The sell by date says August, lets hope she gets it before then!

Six more coronavirus patients die as county’s total rises to 99

Easter lockdown: is it being observed in our top tourist spots?

Coronavirus in New York: A paramedic's diary

'I thought because I was young it wouldn't affect me'

917 new coronavirus deaths as UK told to stay home

No comments:

Post a Comment