SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 28 November 2010

Paradise Whydah found by my mother and ID'd by Richard Richardson!

My mother told me a wonderful story this evening. In early September, 1975 my mother found an amazingly beautiful bird, along a back road somewhere near the Ringstead Mill, she can't remember where exactly now. The bird was so vibrant and stunning and she remembered all the details of the bird and drew a wonderful drawing and description of the bird (see below). She couldn't find the bird in any of the bird books that my parents had, so posted this picture to Richard Richardson at Cley to see if he could ID it for her. Richard replied on the 9th September (see copy of the letter below) saying that he 'recognised it immediately as a Paradise Whydah'. The bird was obviously an escape, but still a wonderful, exciting find! Richard's letter is fascinating, as it also mentions how he had 'a great day with Barry Sheene at the Mallory Park races on Sunday'

My mother's amusing, but accurate drawing of her exciting find.


Crop of above - Paradise Whydah.


RAR's letter and ID to my parents of the bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment