SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 24 October 2012

Arctic Warbler Twitch!

It's driving me insane at work seeing all these birds coming up on the pager. Saturday can't come quick enough! Its also pretty awful, driving to a new bird each evening after work, knowing that I only have half an hour of light in which to find/see the bird or anything else! Yesterday I was very, very lucky seeing and photographing the Red-flanked Bluetail. Today I wasn't quite so lucky!

Arrived at Brancaster Staithe harbour carpark at just before 5.30pm. A few birders said the Arctic Warbler had not been seen for about an hour – bother! As I walked along the coastal footpath, I had forgotten how potentially good this area is for birds – I need to bird here more often, which will also save me on fuel costs!

I managed to pick up on what looked like the Arctic in the awful light, high up in the willows along with Eddie Stubbings who agreed it 'looked good' at just after 5.30pm. I had just started to have a glimpse of the eye stripe when it flicked out of view! It was very frustrating indeed! I have just realised listening to Arctic Warbler on a youtube video, that I am pretty sure I heard this bird call whilst I stood here. I am not year listing thank goodness, but if I had been, I wouldn't have been able to count it! There were loads of robins flicking about and fieldfares and redwings in the dismal light. It got darker even quicker this evening because of the rainy conditions.

Congratulations to Graham Etherington who found the Arctic Warbler and also managed to get pictures HERE. Graham also has some cracking RFB pics on his blog too!

Drove home exhausted and had to sing loudly to keep myself awake. At home I immediately fell asleep. Work, birding and blogging does not combine well!

Weather for the Weekend!
Looking at the weather ahead, its supposed to stay north east all of Thursday and Friday up until lunchtime and then change to straight North. Saturday is forecast for North West winds at 20mph and rain/sun with a 'wintry feel' http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2634567 - this means SEA WATCHING at either Cley or Sheringham to start the day!!!

Main Highlights in Norfolk – RBA
Again news of hundreds of thrushes (reading people's blogs etc). Huge numbers of Ring Ouzels all along the coast, along with Black Redstarts, Redstarts and Yellow-browed Warblers.

Arctic Warbler and Red-breasted Flycatcher at Brancaster Staithe
Red-flanked Bluetail remains at Stiffkey along with 2 YBW's
Olive-backed Pipits at Holme and Holkham
Red-breasted Flycatchers at Gorleston and Wells
Pallas's Warbler at Overstrand
Wryneck at Holkham
Great Grey Shrike at Burnham Overy Staithe
Long-eared Owl found dead at Cley Beach Carpark
Hawfinch at Weybourne and Salthouse
Long-eared Owls x 2 and 2 Short-eared Owls at Stiffkey
Shorelark at Holme
Rough-legged Buzzard at Salthouse

No comments:

Post a Comment