SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 15 October 2012

Viz Mig and the continued Search!

Hunstanton Cliffs
I am ashamed to say that I arrived very late for the Viz Mig Spectacular at Hunstanton Cliffs this morning. I almost felt cheeky joining the regulars (A.B., G.H. et al) at 8.30am! I was told that I hadn't missed too much on my arrival, there had been good numbers of Jays that I had missed though. From 8.30am to 10.00am I saw the following:

Crossbills  2 at 9.05am
Lapland Bunting  1
Jays  24
Pied Wagtails  3
Skylarks  16
Greenfinches  120
Chaffinches  137
Goldfinches  12
Siskin  7
Brambling  2
Meadow Pipit  5
Blackbird  1
Starlings  122
Collared Dove  1
Carrion Crow  1
Black-tailed Godwit  1
Woodpigeons - forgot to count!

Birds started to tail off, so left the cliffs at 10am.

Did some errands for my parents in Hunstanton and dropped off shopping etc to them.

Holme Reserves
Parked the car by the 5-bar gate half way down the Firs Road at Holme and walked round the NWT Forestry. Birds seen here were from Gore Point: 19 Oystercatchers on the beach and 3 juv. gannets flew east along the receeding tide. In the forestry: 9 goldfinches, a huge 100+ flock of chaffinches flew over west, 7 magpies, at least 3 blackbirds, 1 song thrush, 50+ starling flock. Walked back to my car and then walked behind the 'standing caravan' (that was, now massive wooden chalet) along the River Hun footpath which is VERY overgrown, past NOA Redwell Hide and to the Hun Bridge. Just before the bridge opposite the horse paddock I had 3 redwings, several blackbirds, 14 greenfinches, 3 robins, a blue tit, a green woodpecker and a great spotted woodpecker. Along the road in someone's garden I watched a jay gobbling acorns.

Walked past the village carpark and toilet block, round to the golf course – saw two mistle thrushes on the west fairway. Crossed over the golfcourse east and joined the path along the back of the bungalows that lead up to the NWT pay hut. No birds of note really along here, apart from a small starling flock swirling round 'The Saltings'. Back at my car I bumped into Dave Holman, who kindly informed me there was a Scaup on the Broadwater. Drove down the road and parked on the NOA carpark and had a quick lunch.

Saw and photographed the female Scaup at 3.10pm with mallards on the Broadwater. Sophie said the Firecrest had been seen today around the carparks, but I couldn't find it when I had a good look round. Found a couple of goldcrests round the back of the pines, but that was about it really. Oh and another mistle thrush on the top of a pine tree by the Firs house, just before I left.

Went to the hides in the village and only saw a wren, couple of little grebes and a marsh harrier.

PHOTOGRAPH TO BE ADDED


Main Highlights in Norfolk - RBA
RED-RUMPED SWALLOW this evening and roosted at Titchwell RSPB
Pectoral Sandpiper at Kelling
Yellow-browed Warbler, Firecrest and Richard's Pipit at Waxham
YBW at Wells
Firecrest at Holme
Lapland Buntings at Titchwell, Hunstanton, Stiffkey and Morston

No comments:

Post a Comment