SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 23 February 2021

A Beautiful Spring Day?!

A Squirrel feasting on my home-made rye bread!
The Walks, King's Lynn


I know we are a long way off Spring, but it felt like a Spring day! Over the weekend I have slept quite a bit, as still have exhaustion from Covid. This afternoon I went for a social distanced walk with my sister Lucy to 'The Walks' in King's Lynn. This would not have been my first choice, but its the nearest place for Lucy to walk to. It was full of people and too many dogs, but still quite pretty to walk round, with lots of Snowdrops and Crocuses adorning the river banks.

I had brought some of my rye bread for the ducks and we had an unexpected surprise. A Squirrel came running up to us, so I threw some rye bread on the ground and was astonished to see the squirrel take it! It then settled itself by the base of a tree to enjoy it! It was so sweet to watch! Sadly, I only managed to get one picture, as a big ginger coloured dog (off lead) came charging over (to seemingly chase the squirrels) and our little squirrel and two others scarpered and that was that!!! That special moment ended in seconds and all because of a dog (that was supposed to be on a lead). The dog owner who was standing at a distance then continually threw a ball in our direction for the dog to retrieve – it was as if, it was being done on purpose. I was fuming, but had to control my fury, as didn't want to spoil Lucy's walk.
 
We continued our walk around the bandstand area and came across a flock of Black-headed Gulls, including one that had two rings: a big white plastic ring on its right leg with 7MR writtten in black and a normal silver metal ring on its left leg, which I couldn't decipher the numbers/letters on, even at close range with my binoculars. The gulls seemed to love my rye bread! I contacted a 'gull' friend (MAG) to ask how to find out where my gull was ringed and have submitted the details this evening to: https://www.cr-birding.org/node/1508 and then emailed [ktpedersen@gulls.dk], so will keep you posted if and when I find out where this BHG was ringed! I didn't have my Canon gear with me, so all pictures taken with iphone and not my best photos, but hey ho!

Black-headed Gulls eating my rye bread
The Walks, King's Lynn – taken with iphone
 
Black-headed Gull with ring 7MR
The Walks, King's Lynn – taken with iphone

The Walks, King's Lynn
 
 
On Friday, after watching a You Tube Video, I cut and layered my fringe for the first time ever! I was quite pleased with the results. I was due to be in the hairdressers today, but obviously that didn't happen, so had to make do with 'Penelope's Hairdressing'🤣 
 
I hope very much we will have more clarification on the run up to 29th March, as to when we can freely drive to the coast – I miss the sea, SO much. I miss seeing my sisters together and being able to give them a hug. Not being able to go to the coast is seriously affecting how I'm feeling right now. Below are a couple of pictures from local walks I've been on, over the last few days.
 
 

The Custom House, King's Lynn
 
 
My mother’s Snowdrops emerged after the snow 
I dug these up from our family home at Holme and planted in a big pot in my garden –
so glad I did!
 
💖

No comments:

Post a Comment