SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 10 February 2021

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUCY – BIG SNOW DAY!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR LUCY!
 
As Lucy and I discussed today, none of us were born on a nice warm day!!! Vivien was born in November, father was also November, me January and mother and Lucy in February. I booked a half day's annual leave for this afternoon, to give Lucy the opportunity to go for a socially distanced birthday walk, which is the only thing we could do in the current lockdown. I wasn't expecting Lucy to walk anywhere though, as she doesn't do cold weather, but I wanted to try and cheer her up a little.
On route to work this morning!

Gayton Road this morning


Today was the heaviest day of snow we have had so far. Looking out of the window first thing at my snow covered car and the state of the street, I decided it would be quicker and safer to walk to work. Put on my Muckboots and with rucksack, off I went to work via the least scenic route for speed. The snow was a good few inches thick and I couldn't see the edges of the pavements along the minor roads. Even Gayton Road was covered in snow, but with work traffic streaming past, the road was starting to clear.

On route home after work!

 

I finished work at 1.30pm and returned home via the cycle path, which is much more scenic. The light was stunning and I took a few snowy pictures along the way. I could have easily gone to sleep on the sofa when I got home, but that was not why I had the afternoon off! By the time I was ready to leave my house at 2.45pm, it was clear and safe enough to drive my car. Arrived at Lucy's for a social distanced meet up in the car park next to where she lives. As I arrived there was a heavy snowstorm. Lucy stood on the doorstep with a large brolly, coat, hat, gloves and mask on and I stood in the car park with mask on – what an exciting birthday!!! Poor Lucy! As expected, Lucy didn't want to walk anywhere – I tried very hard to persuade her and had brought some of my home-made bread to feed the ducks in the Walks with etc, but she wouldn't budge! Typical Aquarian like myself, when she's made her mind up, that's it!

Anyway, we had a nice little catch up for about 15 minutes and she seemed to enjoy all her presents from Vivien and myself. Besides our presents, I had bought Lucy some flowers (from Vivien and myself), pink roses, carnations and Gypsophila, which I had arranged in a new glass vase and delivered to Lucy last night. I also bought Lucy a birthday cake this afternoon as an extra surprise, which she was very pleased with and a piece of my home-made fruit cake (laden with brandy!), which I made just before Christmas. Lucy did well to stand outside for 15 minutes and then had to go indoors as she was understandably getting chilly. I havn't hugged Lucy or Vivien for so many months – I really wanted to give Lucy a hug, but there is no way I would want to put her at risk, so I couldn't. There was still plenty of light left in the day, so I went to the Fisherfleet (see following post) on route home. I chatted to Lucy again in the evening and she had had some nice presents from the staff where lives, which she seemed pleased about, so all things considering she didn't have too bad a birthday. Lucy made me laugh when she "I had 5 birthday cards, which isn't too bad for 53 is is?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment