SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 12 April 2016

Hoopoe Search!

Thornham
I had made up my mind, that the Hoopoe seen at Holme this morning would be re-locating to Thornham behind the deli, in the field with the children's playground – there was one here on the 21st April 2014. Hoopoe's, as I'm sure most of you know, do like to feed on short turfed grass and this field is a large area too – perfect habitat for a hungry Hoopoe. I know it was long shot, but that's where I decided to start birding this evening after work.

On the Hoopoe field I found nothing but a couple of Pied Wagtails, three Greenfinches and two Chaffinches – oh well, I tried! Good numbers of Red-legged Partridges, Grey Partridges and Hares throughout my travels this evening. So, where was the Hoopoe? More than probably on some very lucky person's lawn!

Gypsy Lane, Titchwell
This seemed like a good place to find a few Spring migrants and it did not disappoint. Chiffchaffs were singing along the path amongst the white flowers of blackthorn and bees were buzzing. Sycamore leaves were freshly uncurling into a magical green and everything looked new and fresh. The most impressive thing was that I didn't spot any dog crap on the path at all – almost unbelievable! Ok, so there were a few of those nasty little plastic bags hanging on branches for decoration, but none on the path, so congratulations to all those responsible owners who have scooped up – a 10 from Pen!!!

I had lovely views of a Treecreeper flying from a tree in the small copse at the end of the path where it opens up near the reedbeds. The path was incredibly muddy and I had to be very careful with my dodgy hip! A Marsh Harrier flew only a few feet above my head, whilst I stood in the wood! There were several Robins, Blackbirds, Blue Tits, Chaffinches, a Song Thrush singing and seen and heard a Bullfinch. A Blackcap was also singing and I had lovely views of a cute little Goldcrest feeding amongst the white flowers of the blackthorn in the evening sunshine. Just as I started to walk back, I spotted a Barn Owl hunting over the reedbeds.

Choseley Barns
I decided to look for the reported Ring Ouzels. which were seen in a field south of the barns at 5pm. I searched and stopped and searched – but no sign of any striped 'Ouzels'. I found more Red-legged Partridges, Grey Partridges, Pheasants and Hares were boxing in the fields. The  sunset was glorious this evening. Found lots of cowslips along a verge on route to Hunstanton. Fabulous views of a Barn Owl flying alongside the car and then landing on a fence post in a horse paddock in Ringstead village.

Went to Hunstanton and got a few items from Sainsbury's and delivered to parent's at Holme. Father was so tired, he looked drugged. In fact he looked so blank, I actually thought he had another another stroke, but after several investigations he was simply exhausted from having another night of keeping Mother up all last night with shouting and restlessness. As I said to Mother, I was her fairy godmother this evening – its a good job I turned up as I had a job to get Father into bed myself, I don't think Mother would have been able to do this herself this evening. Assisted with a few other jobs and then left their house at about 10.15pm!

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment