SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 10 April 2016

Titchwell RSPB & The Mega Celebrity!

'Biking Birder' – Gary Prescott!

Went to Titchwell RSPB for a short while after work, my only birding fix of the weekend. I noted there was a singing Firecrest in the car park at 4.30pm, via the pager, but by the time I got there at 6pm, the sun had disappeared and it was extremely cold. No sign of any Firecrest, however I did have two new Spring birds this evening. A beautiful male Blackcap was feeding amongst the willows along the Fen Trail and had a glimpse of a Bullfinch flying across the boardwalk. There was also a good number of Robins around and Chiffchaffs with singing along with a Cetti's Warbler. A Red-crested Pochard was on the pool, distantly amongst the reeds from the Fen Hide. I walked to the screen overlooking Patsy's Pool, were there were several more Red-crested Pochards, a Pochard, Teal, Mallard, Tufted Ducks, Gulls, Lapwings and Marsh Harriers were gliding over the reedbeds.

As I walked back along the Fen Trail, I spotted a Mega Celebrity!!! 'Biking Birder' – Gary Prescott!!! Gary has become famous amongst the birding community throughout the UK, for his crazy cycling round the country, in an amazing attempt to see as many birds as possible in a year by bike and raising money for several charities. Gary saw 289 birds in 2015 and is hoping for 300+ this year. Once met, never forgotten, with his cycle adorned in cuddly toys: Tigger, Orca, Robin etc! I remember him arriving by bike to Burnham Overy Dunes for the Citril Finch last year – he had cycled from Breydon Water – that's a long journey by car, never mind a bike!!!

Please see his website here: http://bikingbirder2016.blogspot.co.uk/ and to donate to his charities see:
https://www.justgiving.com/gary-prescott4

Whilst having a catch-up with Gary we listened to my first Willow Warbler singing this Spring – beautiful! We must have been chatting a long time, as suddenly I realised it was gone 7.30pm! I hobbled back to my car, feeling like a very old lady.

Spent the rest of the evening with my parents and got Father into bed, before returning home to King's Lynn. My hip is killing me! Good night.

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

2 comments:

  1. 'feeling like a very old lady' but looking like a beautiful young girl. Thanks Penny. It was fabulous meeting up with you. See you at the next mega! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to go to SpecSavers Gary!!! Good to meet up and have a catchup with you too. Looking forward to the first mega of the year! Good b&b (biking and birding!)

      Delete