SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 25 May 2021

Birding at Holme & Snettisham!

High tide at Holme Beach

 

This afternoon I took Lucy's second violin and her favourite bow to a violin restorer in Necton, to have some repairs carried out. From Necton, I just about managed to get to my favourite bird seed shop to stock up before they closed!

It was freezing cold and windy, but had a lovely time at Holme this evening. The tide was really high, almost up to the dunes and there wasn't another soul on the beach, wow! Took lots of pictures. Walked along the back of the pines to the observatory and took some more pictures. The wonderful pink tamarisk has just come out in flower – love this! Paid my respects to where my parent's ashes are laid to rest. Ambled around and reminisced of bygone days.

Holme Beach

 

Very few birds of note, but did see a Cuckoo flying across the Firs Road on the way down to the reserves. A few Linnets were near the Broadwater and a Marsh Harrier was over the marshes. The Firs Road seems to be getting worse and worse, even in first gear, the car rocks in all directions! The best bird I saw was just as I was leaving, a Lesser Whitethroat flew from the scrub next to the NOA carpark to the large area of sea buckthorn – it took me a while to pin it down, but I did eventually.




Snettisham Beach

I then decided to stop at Snettisham Coastal park to take some sunset pictures from the beach, which I then tweeted out to Springwatch – maybe, just maybe they would show them on the show, yeah right! I managed to get a picture with an Oystercatcher flying past against the setting sun, which I was quite pleased with, considering it was taken with my iphone. Back to work tomorrow.

MORE PICTURES TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment