SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 4 September 2021

Ray's Birthday Celebrations!

A few years ago, I would have leapt in the car after work, headed to Cley and walked Blakeney Point to see a good bird. A Sykes's Warbler was found yesterday afternoon, by James M. and Kayn F., just east of Halfway House – this was a second for Norfolk and would have been a new bird for me.  But, after a particularly busy and exhausting day at work, the thought of even getting in the car to drive for an hour, was too much, never mind trudging along shingle for a few miles! No sign of it today, I'm sure there will be another at some point!

Lucy and I went over to Ely this afternoon, so Lucy could see Vivien's and Ray's new narrowboat and also to celebrate Ray's birthday, which is on Tuesday. We sat outside in deckchairs by the river and watched the Swans dabbling, Muscovy Duck begging for scraps and boaters going along the river. The sun was out, which was not forecast for today, either in Ely or Norfolk – BBC weather wrong again! Lucy and I bought a chinese takeaway, Tiramisu and drinks for us all, which we enjoyed very much. I had starved myself before this, so I didn't put too much weight on, as still sticking to the diet – I have obviously gone off the rails today though!

The evenings are drawing in so much quicker now and Lucy was feeling chilly, so we headed inside and had a cup of coffee on the boat and then left to go home. It was lovely spending time chatting with Vivien and Ray in their lovely new home. Lucy and I left around 9.10pm, via Queen Adelaide and discovered a 'Police Road Closed ahead' sign near a bridge – we turned around and I had no idea which way to go! Phoned Ray, who very accurately guided us back through Ely and onto the A10, to discover the turn off to Downham Market was also closed for roadworks!!! You couldn't make it up! I was now very frustrated and trying not to stress Lucy out. I ended up asking a workman by the roundabout, for directions for King's Lynn – we ended up driving through Chettisham and Littleport before eventually returning to the A10 for Downham Market. By the time we got home, I felt like I had driven double the distance!

No comments:

Post a Comment