SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 11 April 2022

Spring Birding!

Well, I didn't expect the White-tailed Lapwing to depart quite so soon, thank goodness I made the effort to go last night after work, otherwise I wouldn't have had any footage at all. I had intended on returning to Ken Hill this morning to try and get some photos. Ken Hill is a vast area and although I'm sure its been thoroughly searched, I suppose it could still be there. Other birders have searched other suitable spots in Norfolk today I'm sure – I know someone had checked out Burnham Norton Marshes, I checked out several spots too. Has it gone high east or will it be re-found again in Norfolk?!

After waking up early and then going back to sleep, I eventually got out of the house. It was a beautiful sunny day with south east winds. I headed to Snettisham, then east along the road to Sedgeford and to the horse paddock, where there was a Ring Ouzel yesterday. Parked up on a verge close by and had a good walk around, sadly no sign of the Ring Ouzel, but did see a Song Thrush. Followed the public footpath down to the bridge over the stream and heard a Blackcap, Chiffchaff and saw a Blackbird, Robin and a Common Buzzard – its a really pretty spot here and is overlooked by Sedgeford church and sweeping lawned gardens.

I spent the rest of the day searching for the White-tailed Lapwing! Headed to North Point Pools at Wells – it was particularly cold now and I had to put another layer on. I'm glad I stopped off here, as I had 11 Snipe feeding together!!! I can't remember if at all, seeing that many in Norfolk ever – they were all on the pools, west of the path. Other highlights were a single Spoonbill, which flew off shortly after I arrived and a single Swallow skimming over the east pools. Other birds seen: Redshanks, lots of Avocets, Shelducks, Teal, Mallards, several pairs of Gadwall, Black-headed Gulls, Lapwings, Greylag Geese, Marsh Harrier and a huge flock of 300+ Brent Geese landed on the pool, after being seemingly disturbed from fields.

After driving through Holkham, I stopped in a pull in area next to a farm gate on the left-hand side, just before the turn off to Wells Quay. I was only going to stop for a minute or two to scan the pools here for the White-tailed Lapwing, but as soon as I got my binoculars out, a farmer/worker indicated to turn into my spot and to drive through the farm gate – oh dear! Unlucky timing! So I had to leave ASAP and nowhere else to stop on this road to scan those pools.

Parked up in the usual spot for Stiffkey Fen. It was cold with grey skies. Walked to the fen and had no luck with the Dusky Warbler, which I expected, being so cold and late in the day. On the fen itself I had fabulous views of a Great White Egret, walking alongside a Grey Heron – both fishing together! Also Little Egret here, good numbers of Black-tailed Godwits, Avocets, Shelducks, Mallard, Lapwings, Cormorants, Redshanks, Pied Wagtail and a Reed Bunting flew across the reeds. A Marsh Harrier cruised over the yellow rape fields and on the way back, a Cetti's Warbler burst into tune. Walking back along the path through the wood, I flushed a small bird that was feeding under the hedge by the road – it flew into the wood and I could not find it, very frustrating indeed. Returned to my car and drove home and duly fell asleep.

PHOTOS TO FOLLOW

No comments:

Post a Comment