SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Tuesday 12 April 2022

Kentish Plover 'tick' and More Spring Migrants!


 
Today was very special indeed! I FINALLY got to see my first Kentish Plover in the UK! I have missed several over the years, because of being at work or being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Huge thanks to today's finder of the stonking male Kentish Plover on The Serpentine from Avocet Hide at Cley NWT. What a bird! Fabulous scope views, but too distant for photography. Thanks to Carl Chapman and another birder who helped me get my scope on the bird. In fact, initially it was too far to do a phone scope video. Several Dunlin here, a Ruff, Little Egrets, Teal, Avocets. I nipped next door into Daukes Hide and sat next to Mike Edgecome, where we had extremely close views of a pair of Garganey cruising past the hide window! A Swallow graced the skies near North Scrape. I returned to Avocet Hide where the Kentish Plover seemed a little closer and I managed to get some phone-scoped video – I was taking my fourth short video when a photographer walked into the hide and straight in front of my scope, so I packed up and left. Saw Eddie arrive at Old Woman's Lane car park, just as I was leaving. I say car park, you can only park one line of no more than 4-5 cars here now – no parking on the grass area any more.
 
Kentish Plover on Simmonds' Scrape Cley NWT
Screen grab from phone-scoped video

 
The pager was reporting several Ring Ouzels today, so I decided to try and find my own. Headed up to the horse paddocks at the top of Cross Street, Salthouse and had a good search whilst eating a sandwich. Found some Blackbirds and not much else. Headed to one of my favourite spots, Gramborough Hill! Parked up in Beach Road and joined John F., Ron J. and Dave H. and his wife for a thorough search in the scrub. It seemed exciting and we saw a male Blackcap, Willow Warblers and a Chiffchaff. A Swallow flew over the hill and three Sand Martins also put in an appearance, a few Meadow Pipits and a Kestrel hovering. Walking back to the car, there were 6 Turnstones on the brackish pool, and 2 Wheatears on the marsh were a joy to see.
 
At Walsey Hills NOA I heard a Willow Warbler and a Chiffchaff, saw a Great Tit, a pair of Bullfinches and some Greylag Geese were on the field south of Snipe's Marsh. I could see lots of clearing had been done and could see a new pond with perches through a small gap in the hedge around the back and this obviously will attract birds, but viewing is very limited – presumably this work is still ongoing and members will be able to view this exciting new area. The first pond below Walsey Hills is looking good now since it was dug out last year and the blackthorn and gorse is as always, looking so beautiful.

I stopped by Morston Church to check out the horse paddock for Ring Ouzels, no joy. I also checked the very large field by Morston Quay and again no Ring Ouzels there either, never mind! I drove to a little spot I have not been to for many years – Stiffkey Playing Field, which is accessed via a single track, a bumpy road running north in the village and parked up by the very large field. It looked potentially brilliant for Ring Ouzels, but again no luck! Best I could find was a Mistle Thrush, along with several Blackbirds, a Robin, Starlings, Wood Pigeons, and a Pied Wagtail.

I ended the day at North Point Pools, Wells. Last night I had 11 Snipe, tonight I had 20 Snipe!!! I couldn't believe how many there were! Also Egyptian Geese x 2, Redshanks, lots of Avocets, Black-tailed Godwits x 15, Curlews x 14, Shelducks, Teal, Gadwall, Mallards, Kestrel, Heron and the same huge Brent Goose flock feeding on the far fields.

Work tomorrow for two days and then Easter Weekend for birding! The forecast looks brilliant for migration, fingers crossed!

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment