SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 17 April 2022

Quick Sale, Snettisham Coastal Park & Camera Stuff!

I was shocked how quickly I sold my Swarovski EL 8.5x42 binoculars, I could have sold two pairs in under half a day! It was nice to sell them to someone I know. After meeting up at Dersingham Bog to sell the bins, I then headed to Snettisham Coastal Park.

I managed to get a free space! Walked to the coastal park in hope of seeing the Siberian Chiffchaff, but this is a vast area and I had no idea where it was and there were no other birders looking, so failed on that. However, I did have my first Cuckoo of the Spring calling and also first Sedge Warbler in the reedbed, Whitethroats and Blackcaps singing, Stonechats, Linnets, Goldfinches, Robins and Blackbirds. It was far too hot and far too many dogs and people for me, no surprise there on a Bank holiday weekend! There were a good number of people cycling through the coastal park and along the inner sea wall – I don't know if they are allowed to do that here? Crossed over to the inner sea wall and walked back to my car via Ken Hill Marsh. Med Gulls calling and flying over my head, Little Egrets, Mallards, Teal, Mute Swans amongst other birds I couldn't really ID properly, as didn't have my scope with me. Checked out the horse paddock next to the RSPB entrance, no Ring Ouzels here, but Cetti's Warbler singing.

Headed to Fenway at Heacham where there have been Ring Ouzels seen recently, but not today! But did see several Blackbirds, Song Thrushes x 2 and lots of Wood Pigeons and Starlings feeding on a large area of grass next to the sewage works. After a second message on the pager about the White-tailed Eagle at Sedgeford, I headed that way. I asked the person on Twitter, who had seen the WTE for a second time today if there was any sign of it now, but I didn't get a reply. I headed just north of Sedgeford along the Ringstead Road to gain some height and scanned the fields all around, no sign, but Connor R. and his Grandma had the same idea – nice to catch up with them! No sign of WTE here. Gave up and went home.

I spent the rest of the day doing Firmware updates for all my Canon gear. FINALLY got the Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens out of its box! Yes, that's shameful I know! But, I have got so used to using the Canon EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, which I purchased as a temporary lens for Shetland, whilst waiting for the 100-500mm lens to be delivered (was on a waiting list for months). I have also been using my Canon EOS 7D Mark II body with this lens. Will set up the Canon EOS R5 tomorrow with the correct 'wildlife settings' which have been kindly given to me by Jim L. and a very helpful file sent to me by Mike E. – huge thanks to them both for helping me out.

I will be selling my *Canon EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens soon, once I have the RF 100-500mm set up. I purchased *this second hand from Wex Photographic in September 2021 and paid £1,795 – Item condition 9+, lens mint and minimal use. If anyone is interested in advance of me advertising this, send me an email to pennyclarke@talktalk.net. This lens costs £2,589.99 brand new on the Canon website and at Wex in Norwich when I checked today.

Tomorrow morning is booked to take Lucy to buy her first laptop! I do wish she could have a Macbook, but she really needs a PC laptop, as her Keyworker and others where she lives, only use PC laptops. So its no good her buying something they can't assist her with. After visiting Curry's in King's Lynn recently, I decided on a HP Pavilion 15-eh0511sa 15.6" Laptop – AMD Ryzen 5, 512 GB in silver. This has a touch screen, which I know Lucy will get on better with than a mouse or the scroll pad. Busy day ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment