SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 8 June 2022

A Long Night & A Long Day!

The pain was severe last night, on another level, I couldn't even think about sleeping, so came downstairs. I just wanted to cry it was that bad, but had to calm myself down, as getting upset made the pain even worse. There was no way I was going back to A&E to sit in a waiting room for hours on end. Phoned 111 for advice – waste of time. Phoned A&E at 3.30am (they had a full waiting room and were very busy I was told) and asked advice – I simply wanted to know if I could take Oramorph (of which I have a bottle of, from being prescribed in February) alongside my other prescribed pain relief and I was told I could. Took some straight away, but this has only taken the edge off the pain, still not enough to allow me to sleep. 111 nurse phoned me back at 4.50am and asked all the same questions at the last person earlier and then said a GP would call me within the hour. You probably wonder why I'm typing this up at this unearthly hour, I might as well, can't sleep and it passes the time! I'm bored of watching TV and can't concentrate to read a book 😒

Need to phone the dentist later too! Its obvious I have an abscess next to the dodgy root-filled tooth – there is no pain whatsoever, but this needs sorting out more urgently than I thought, when I googled! Plus tooth needs to be extracted! I'm now laughing as I write this, it all sounds so hilarious, not – maybe its the Oramorph making me laugh!!! 😭😂😠😢😅 This week can do one, I've had enough now!

UPDATE 9pm
A 111 GP called me at 6am, from the out of hours team at QEH – he kindly put through a prescription for some more Dicofenic tablets to my chemist for me to collect this morning and then sent a support letter to my surgery to request that I'm seen urgently this morning, because of ongoing and severity of pain. He said I probably need an MRi for my spine.

Sent request form to surgery at 8am (when they opened) to request to be seen today, doctor called back and made appointment for 10.31am. Felt a little better after taking Oramorph (out of date bottle).
 
Locum Doctor at my surgery at 10.31 appointment, did a much better assessment (I felt) and diagnosis than they did in A&E to be honest! Very interesting to see what little tests etc he did, including turning my neck into two different positions and pushing down on the top of my head! "Ouch" I said, as did this, he instantly told me I have a trapped nerve in my neck, which "should resolve itself in a few weeks time". He told me to use my left arm as little as possible, keep mobile, but to continue with my physios advice of hot and cold compress on shoulder and neck. Continue with Diclofenac 75mg tablets, Co-codamol 30/500mg tablets and only take the Oramorph when required (required!). He prescribed me a new bottle of Oramorph, as my bottle at home was out of date!
 
BOOTS the chemist next door to my surgery didn't have any Oramorph! SO frustrating, as just wanted to get home. So, had to drive into town and this BOOTS had a massive queue of people, too much pain to wait, so left and went to Gayton Road Health practice, short queue of only four people, got Oramorph and returned home. Driving was very painful and I shouldn't have been, but there we go, didn't have much choice.

Took Oramorph and new supply of tablets straight away, had small lunch and collapsed on sofa. I had a surprise visit from Lucy and Vivien, which made me quite emotional – they had to make their own hot drinks etc as I couldn't fuss around them as I normally would do. We spent about two hours chatting about our aches and pains etc, then they left. Vivien kindly offered help, but I had done a recent food shop, so ok. I fell asleep almost seconds after they left, as completely wrecked after being up for almost 48 hours.

A Spotted Sandpiper had been found at Titchwell RSPB today and was still "showing well" this evening – utterly heartbreaking, I have been waiting to see one of these for so long and it would have been a new bird for me! The last record in Norfolk was at Welney WWT in September 1994 (stayed for 132 days!), and the last Spring record was at Cley on 11th-13th June 1986 (stayed 3 days) and previously to this at Holme on 7th October 1985 (stayed one day). I will keep my fingers crossed that the Spotted Sandpiper falls in love with Titchwell and decides to take an extended vacation!!! 🤞

The car is now redundant in the drive, unless essential eg food/surgery. I also had to book an urgent dentist appointment for tomorrow at 3.40pm, to sort out the presumed abscess and plan for tooth extraction! So excited, not! If I feel up to it, I may walk, as this will be far less painful than driving and it isn't that far from where I live. I hope this is all going to resolve soon, as not good at being at home on my own, especially when I can't escape King's Lynn in my car! Hopefully will be back to work next week.

6 comments:

  1. My sympathies. It sounds horrible. 😕

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use a harness rather than a strap for your binoculars? Would be much better for neck problems .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I use a strap and my new binoculars are very light. I'm hoping my trapped nerve will not be a long term issue, but thank you.

      Delete
  3. You've reminded me of my horrible summer last year when I tore my trapezius. It was the worst pain ever...even worse than breaking my back in a bike accident. Thankfully it resolved and I'm trying to be good with neck exercises etc. 30yrs of nursing has left me with a creaky back but I've been training recently and feeling much stronger now. I found swimming really helpful too. I hope your pain resolves soon as it's so wearing and affects everything you do. I was prescribed gabapentin but I didn't take it in the end but I know a few patients who it has helped with nerve pain. Take good care of yourself and you'll be back amongst nature soon and updating us with your wonderful adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much indeed John and I'm glad you have made a good recovery.

      Delete