Rare Bird Alert News
MAINLAND
King Eider ad. fem off North Ness Business Park, Lerwick.
American Black Tern still from boathouse at Tingwall Loch.
Sooty Shearwaters x 4 from The Lookout, Sumburgh Head.
Glossy Ibis on flood by lighthouse at Eshaness.
Storm Petrol flew past Mousa Sound.
Curlew Sandpiper at Scatness.
ISLANDS
Barred Warbler at Valyie, Norwick, Unst.
Leucistic House Sparrow with others, 1 Siskin, Starlings, 9 Collared Doves and a very daring and cheeky couple of Hooded Crows at my bird feeders. A mixed day of heavy rain, sunshine and increasingly stronger south westerly winds. Finally got round to finishing my photography curtain, which included added grommets with my Grommet Tool Kit that I bought in the Spring and lots of hand sewing – this allows me to open the top half of the front stable door and photograph any birds at the feeders.
Petrol is seriously expensive here now: current fuel prices average around 171.8p per litre for unleaded petrol and up to 199.8p per litre for diesel, so if you are about to arrive on Shetland, fill up to the max before you get the ferry over! It cost me £37.01 to fill up exactly half a tank in my Skoda estate a few days ago, never paid that much before.
Continuing to chat about Nutcrackers, I dug out my Austrian hand-written diary to look up the date I saw my only sightings of Nutcrackers. Prior to owning any kind of laptop or iMac I used to write holiday diaries in A5 spiral bound hardback books, which I illustrated with postcards and pictures cut from travel brochures and printed out the headings etc from whichever print job I used to be in. I have one for every holiday I went on in the past, which is not that many really, Austria x 2, Corfu x 2, Portugal x 2, Paris, Wales x 2, Scotland x 2, Fair Isle x 2 (3rd & 4th trip on my blog).
Anyway, Austria 13th June- 27th June 1990 with my then partner Keith (we married in 1992), we stayed at the "Hotel Post" in Heiligenblut, a fairy-tale village nestling beneath Austria's highest mountain, the Grossglockner – the most magnificent scenery and loads of birds and wildlife. I had forgotten some of the incredible birds we had seen there which included 2 Nutcrackers together. Here is an excerpt from 24th June: "...... as we turned the corner just past a house and stream, we saw the BIRD of our holiday, a NUTCRACKER. At first Keith and I thought it was a Jay, we then picked it up in our bins in flight and could see it was unmistakably a Nutcracker, which then landed on the top of a larch tree where he shook and ruffled his feathers. I got very excited when I realised what it was and so close as well! Then as the Nutcracker took off a second bird joined it and both flew off into the trees together!" Other birds seen on the trip included Griffon Vulture, Golden Eagle, Alpine Swift, Crag Martin, Pale Crag Martin, Alpine Accentor, Bonelli's Warbler, Black-throated Thrush, Golden Oriole, male Pine Grosbeak (right in front of us on a branch!), Alpine Chough and lots more!
Very sadly I only had a Kodak instamatic film camera in those days! My very first SLR camera was one my father gave me (old one of his) a Canon EOS 300mm film camera which I used for the first time on my first trip to Fair Isle in June 2005. I would love to return to Heiligenblut again one day, that would be so good. I loved Austria so much that I went again with my sister Vivien and we stayed at "The Waldrand", Scheffau in September 1997. Happy times!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.