SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 16th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2026!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER SIXTEEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday, 30 September 2026

SHETLAND BIRD NEWS & MORE!

Rare  Bird  Alert  News
MAINLAND
Barred Warbler at large quarry, Sooty Shearwaters x 3 from The Lookout at Sumburgh Head. 
Red-breasted Flycatcher, Yellow-browed Warbler still in garden at Sumburgh Hotel.
Barred Warbler, Yellow-browed Warblers x 3 in garden at Toab.
Pied Flycatcher, Yellow-browed Warbler in Sunken Garden by Lovers Lane, Yellow-browed Warbler in garden along Ladysmith Road at Scalloway.
Firecrest in large garden on north side of south road, Yellow-browed Warbler in 2nd garden on south road at Wester Quarff.
Red-breasted Flycatcher still at Da Lodge, Lower Voe.
Yellow-browed Warbler at Mid Dale, NW of Walls.
Yellow-browed Warbler at Orca Inn, Hoswick.  
Yellow-browed Warblers x 2 at Wadbister, SSE of Girlsta.
Yellow-browed Warblers x 2 at Lunning, NE of Vidlin.
Glossy Ibis again, Lapland Bunting on rocky ground, south of lighthouse at Eshaness.  
Yellow-browed Warbler at Sandness.
Pectoral Sandpiper, Barred Warbler at Pool of Virkie.
Yellow-browed Warbler at Orbister.
 
ISLANDS
Buff-breasted Sandpipers x 2 in field north of road at Clivocast, Common Rosefinch at Skaw, Bluethroat, Common Rosefinch at Baltasound, UNST.
Yellow-browed Warbler at plantation by marina at Cullivoe, YELL.
Red-necked Grebe at Loch of Funzie, FETLAR.
Barred Warblers x 2, Yellow-browed Warblers x 2 on ISLE OF WHALSAY.
Little Buntings x 2, one at Bruray + one at Housay bird crop on OUT SKERRIES.
 

Atrocious weather here today – the sea was rolling and crashing onto the rocks from the hospital windows. When I opened the door to leave the hospital this evening, I was nearly blown over, not joking! I had to get to the post office before 5pm so after returning a parcel, I looked around Scalloway for birds in pouring rain. I left the camera in the car, not worth getting it wet. In the Sunken Garden by Lovers Lane I found a Chiffchaff skulking in the lower parts of a sycamore and a Merlin perched up and being mobbed by a Hooded Crow, no sign of the birds found in there earlier (see list above), but this garden is massive and impossible to see even a small part of it, so there could have been tons of stuff in there and you would never see it on a still day, never mind in these conditions. Drove around to some of the gardens with good habitat and did lots of short walks to try and find something in awful conditions. I got soaked but wasn't too bothered. There is a large detached house with an equally large square walled garden which you can see into via the front gate that used to be the doctor's surgery I was told – its between Sycamore Avenue and Harley Street and always looks exciting for finding migrants. Didn't find anything else in fading light aside from a few Starlings, but when I returned home I instantly heard a Yellow-browed Warbler calling a few times in Jimmy's much larger garden, next door to me – I couldn't see it though, after much peering over the wall from the Gallow Hill side – I think it was in a large fuchsia bush. The Shetland ponies on the hill didn't look overly impressed with the conditions. There was so many deep piles of sycamore leaves blown into my driveway, will have to sweep them up on a still and non birdy day, so will probably get done in late October!

I don't think my long work coat will be dry by the morning. Tomorrow's the big day then!!! I love seeing all the birders being added to the WhatsApp groups as they arrive on Shetland – there are several big names here now, including a good number from Norfolk. With all these elite birders here I will be shocked if nothing mega isn't found tomorrow in much calmer conditions and sunshine, good luck to you all – see you after work! If there isn't anything major when I finish work I have decided to search Scalloway for a Black-and-white Warbler, how cool would that be! First one here in Shetland was in October 1936 found dead at Vatster, Tingwall and after that was in May 2020 at Aithsetter, Cunningsburgh for one day only.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.