Rare Bird Alert News
MAINLAND
American Wigeon ad. drk in field from Setter Marsh layby at Loch of Spiggie.
Eastern Stonechat sp. (probably Western Siberian Stonechat) 1w still, Yellow-browed Warbler at pumping station, Corncrake flushed from irises, Levenwick.
Barred Warbler at Quendale Mill.
Arctic Warbler 1w. in garden of pink house at top of hill, east of road at Fladdabister.
Little Bunting, Ring Ouzels x 2, Lapland Bunting, Yellow-browed Warbler in grass at Sumburgh Head.
Black-throated Thrush in garden (for 21 mins only!) at Sumburgh Hotel.
Radde's Warbler in small walled compound, 100yds west of Haa Museum, Tangwick, south of Eshaness.
Yellow-browed Warbler at Da Gairdins, Sand.
Red-breasted Flycatcher in garden near crossroads at Exnaboe.
Yellow-browed Warbler at Grutness.
Common Rosefinch in crop from road, Red-backed Shrike still in nettles by burn at Scousburgh.
Bluethroat on rough ground by building with green roof and possibly second bird in Crofthouse Museum garden, Ring Ouzel at Dalsetter, Lapland Buntings x 3 on on road by bend at the Boddam Voe then flew into weedy field, Boddam.
American Golden Plover in wet field, Ring Ouzel at Fleck.
Quails x 2 in wet field at Aith, Cunningsburgh.
Barred Warbler in garden opposite cemetery at Gulberwick.
Western Bonelli's Warbler in garden just east of Skelberry, NE of Boddam.
Curlew Sandpiper at Pool of Virkie.
Ring Ouzel in sycamore opposite Orca Inn, Yellow-browed Warbler at Hoswick.
Yellow-browed Warbler, Siberian Chiffchaff at Swining.
ISLANDS
PALLAS'S GRASSHOPPER WARBLER at road verges between bus shelter and Valyie, UNST.
Olive-backed Pipit trapped and ringed at Gorie, Siberian Chiffchaff at Gorie, Ring Ouzels x 6, ISLE OF BRESSAY.
Barred Warbler in plantation at Feal, Houbie, ISLE OF FETLAR.
Yellow-browed Warbler at Grimster, YELL.
Hawfinch, Yellow-browed Warblers x 2, Ring Ouzel, ISLE OF WHALSAY.
The huge highlight today was a massive fall of thrushes throughout Shetland. There were 300+ Redwings on Gallow Hill behind my house first thing this morning! I found a Male Chaffinch, male Brambling and 11 Blackbirds feeding in the leaf litter in the garden of the old doctors surgery in Harley Street, Scalloway – this garden looks brilliant and I need to keep checking this. Checked a few other spots in Scalloway, but only found Redwings.
Headed to Fladdibister for the Arctic Warbler. No sign of it at all after much searching and waiting. Then Paul H. and Dan P. joined me and they couldn't find it either and they left to go and see the Radde's Warbler. I was just about to give up when I found the Arctic Warbler at 2.40pm in an elder in the garden opposite the pink house, much to the delight of a tour group who had just arrived, sadly it didn't show enough or long enough for me get any photos and then flew towards scrub around the pink house where it vanished again. Shortly before this, another birder and I watched a chunky warbler (which was possibly a Barred Warbler) fly from the pink house to the front hedge of the garden where the Arctic Warbler was, but we couldn't find it after that.
With news of Ring Ouzels, I decided to head to Mossy Hill. I love it up there as the scenery below of St Ninian's beach etc is truly stunning. Hundreds of Redwings were scattering over the entire hill. Drove to the quarry where Hugh H. found the first Siberian Accentor for Britain and found out later this evening that it was exactly ten years ago today! Torrential rain kept me in the car for a while and then I got excited as I swore I saw a bird flying in the quarry, so got out and walked towards where I had seen it. Climbing up to a ridge I fell badly, tried to save myself and ended up falling downhill in the direction I had walked and landed heavily on the right side of my chin. Very painful and I was shocked I had fallen. Very muddy wet trousers too, not good at all. I blame my wellingtons, no Vibram sole. Going back to my walking shoes tomorrow and if I get wet feet that's tough. I hate wellies. As I descended to Scousburgh, the Redwings continued to scatter over the hill – I love seeing this, its truly spectacular to witness.
I then tried to find the Western Bonelli's Warbler location, which I found as Dave F. and tour group had just left the scene, so that was lucky. I parked my car by the farm gate and walked to the burn and sycamore and willows. It took a while to see, but I had good views, although briefly at 5pm but no photos obtained. I'm failing with photography massively today, although I did get a nice Redwing picture through the car window at Scousburgh.
Next stop was Boddam to try and find the Bluethroat location, which I failed with and didn't see the Lapland Buntings either. At this point I just wanted to go home, but had to drive straight to Lerwick to go to Tesco as not been shopping for ages and the fridge was almost empty. You can't go food shopping in the daylight hours in October! Whilst shopping I got wonderfully distracted by chatting with Dennis and his son John Coutts! By the time I returned home with a big shop and put everything away it was 8.45pm. My chin is very painful to touch, poor me! Good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.