SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 16th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2026!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER SIXTEEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Friday, 2 October 2026

SHETLAND BIRD NEWS & MORE!

Rare  Bird  Alert  News
MAINLAND
King Eider ad. fem still off Twagoes Road, Barred Warbler in trees west of Tesco car park, Spotted Redshank flew over Viking Bus Station, Lerwick.
Common Rosefinch in willows, Redstart on road by first house, Curlew Sandpiper at Pool of Virkie.
Yellow-browed Warblers x 2 at Grutness.
Yellow-browed Warblers x 2 at Quendale Burn, Little Bunting on road briefly at Quendale Mill.
Yellow-browed Warbler in large garden at Brake, near Hillwell.
Yellow-browed Warblers x 2 near picnic tables at Hoswick Burn.
Barred Warbler in gardens, Common Rosefinch at Orca Inn, Hoswick. 
Buff-breasted Sandpiper still in wet field at Fleck.
Yellow-browed Warbler in garden by beach at Levenwick.
Firecrest still in garden, Yellow-browed Warblers x 3 at Wester Quarff.
Siberian Chiffchaff at Swining.
Yellow-browed Warblers x 4 at Wadbister Voe, Girlsta.
Quail at Aithsetter, Cunningsburgh.
Barred Warblers x 2, Yellow-browed Warbler at graveyard, Vidlin.
Yellow-browed Warblers x 3 at Toab.
EASTERN STONECHAT sp. (probably Western Siberian Stonechat) 1w in rough field before Heimli at Netherton Road, Levenwick.
Yellow-browed Warbler at Busta House Hotel, Yellow-browed Warbler in Community Wood at Brae.
Pallas's Warbler at Vanlop (but not seen again), Bluethroat in bird crop at Scousburgh.
Yellow-browed Warbler in garden at Sumburgh Hotel.
Yellow-browed Warbler on wall by RSPB car park at Sumburgh Lighthouse. 
Yellow-browed Warbler still at Leean Plantatin, Mid Walls.
Yellow-browed Warbler, Pied Flycatcher at Sullom Plantation.
Pallid Harrier (possible) near Kergord.
Olive-backed Pipit at end house then moved south to large sycamore garden, Yellow-browed Warblers x 6 at Maywick.
Yellow-browed Warblers x 2 at Dalsetter, Yellow-browed Warblers x 5, Siberian Chiffchaff at south end of Boddam.
Yellow-browed Warbler at Voe.
Yellow-browed Warbler at Channerwick.
Yellow-browed Warblers x 6 at Ellister.
 
ISLANDS
Buff-breasted Sandpipers x 2 still at Lund, UNST.
Richard's Pipit at Housay, Little Bunting at OUT SKERRIES.
Turtle Dove at Houbie, Common Rosefinches x 2 along Burn of Northdale, Tresta, FETLAR.
Little Bunting in plantation at Skaw, ISLE OF WHALSAY. 
 

Arrived and parked up at Quendale Mill just after sunrise. Walked to Brake to search for the Siberian Blue Robin. I would also then be close by for when and if it was seen in Hugh's garden again. Sadly Hugh didn't see it in the garden again. I spent the entire morning until midday, slowly and meticulously checking all the gardens and habitat at Brake several times. Birds seen: the Yellow-browed Warbler I found last night, several Robins, 6 Continental Blackbirds, Lesser Whitethroat, Chiffchaff, Song Thrush, Pied Wagtails x 3, 4 Grey Herons flew over, Wheatear, 2 Bramblings, male Chaffinch. Someone else had seen a Pied Flycatcher, but frustratingly I didn't see this. There were a few birders looking here, but not many, which was a real surprise as I heard that there were several standing in Hugh's garden yesterday that didn't see the Sibe Robin as they had been standing in the wrong spot when it showed and then obviously couldn't move because of the size of the crowd.

Nice to chat with Brett Richards again whom I last saw at the Egyptian Nightjar! He had arrived this morning with others. Its incredibly sad that the Siberian Blue Robin didn't show again yesterday afternoon and also that it didn't stay until today for other birders arriving. I would love to know where it disappeared to yesterday. I noticed there were quite a few cats around at Brake which doesn't bare thinking about. Several birders pointed out that it was clear overnight so more than probably has gone now. 😞

Walked back to Quendale Mill checking gardens on route. Had lunch and a brief snooze in the car, I felt very tired now. There were 2 Yellow-browed Warblers chasing each other round in the sycamore copse and also a Robin and a Blackbird in here. Left and drove back very slowly to Brake for a last check before I left and spotted a familiar figure walking along the road – it was Steve Gantlett!!! I see him more here than I did in Norfolk! 😂 He had flown over for the Siberian Blue Robin this morning which we glumly chatted about. If you are reading this Steve, you and Sue might as well move here, it will be cheaper for you and you'll have a greater chance of increasing your list if you live here!

Drove to Sumburgh Head and sat on the grassy slope watching the 'roses' where all I could manage was a Blackbird, Robin and 1 Pied Wagtail. There was a Rock Pipit that looked bigger then it should it have done creeping around on the grassy slope behind me. A Yellow-browed Warbler was flitting around on the wall next to the RSPB carpark by the lighthouse.

At the second quarry (largest) at Sumburgh I managed to see a Chiffchaff in a nettle patch, 3 Twite, 2 Wheatears and a Robin were on the cliff. There was a Yellow-browed Warbler in the garden at Grutness which I highlighted to a tour group driving past, who then stopped to enjoy watch this feeding in the fading light – they were very pleased as they hadn't seen it when they had looked earlier. On the way back home I stopped at Levenwick and saw 3 Sand Martins overhead down by the beach – it was too late in the day to see the Siberian Stonechat.

PICTURES TO BE ADDED 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.