SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 18 April 2011

Ringstead Downs NWT and Brancaster Staithe

Ringstead Downs NWT.


Arrived at Ringstead Downs at 5.30pm to a beautiful sunny evening.

I was expecting Ring Ouzels at Ringstead Downs as this is more or less guaranteed when there are others around Norfolk, but this wasn't to be this evening. Birds seen here: red legged partridges, green woodpecker, great spotted woodpecker, blackcap, willow warbler, chiffchaff, jackdaw, chaffinch, robin, mistle thrush, great and blue tits. I walked as far as the farm where I saw linnets, sparrowhawk and 3 swallows. THE geese in the farmyard, greeted me as usual - this the point when you retrace your steps quickly! Only a brave person walks past them!!! On the way back a Tawny Owl called. Speckled Wood also seen. Found some wild gooseberries bushes - will keep where they are secret!!! Tons of rabbits looking pretty amongst the carpets and carpets of ground ivy. Found quite alot of Lady's Mantle starting to flower.




Ringstead Downs NWT.


The chalkface by the Farm buildings,
where I always imagined a Wallcreeper would be!





Periwinkle.


Lady's Mantle.

All the above photos taken with iphone.


I was quite shocked when I arrived at Brancaster Staithe to photograph the sunset and boats. I could not get down the road to the carpark as the massive high tide had not only covered the carpark it also covered part of the road up to the hut that sells produce! I was a bit too late for the sunset - when I first arrived, the sun had cast a wonderful pink glittery sheen over the water, but by the time I got the camera out of the car it was too late! I walked around the harbour area and photographed some boats. Had a lovely surprise here of my first Cuckoo at 8pm - not seen, only heard - it was calling from the other side of the water, which means it was either on the end of Brancaster Golf Course or Scolt Head Island! Nice end to my little jaunt out!



Brancaster Staithe Harbour - high tide over carpark.

No comments:

Post a Comment