SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 10 September 2011

Little Bittern, Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Cattle Egret, Red Kite - the list goes on!!!!!

WOW What a day!!!!!

An excellent start to my holiday - even though I DID NOT arrive at dawn as planned!!!!!

The only bad thing about today, was the fact I was trying to survive on about 3 hours sleep after my long night out!

Arrived at Titchwell RSPB at just after 9am (ish) and the car parks were already full, so had to park on the side of the road.

Tons of birders waiting to see the juv. Little Bittern. In fact most Norfolk birders that I knew were there and obviously some from further afield. Saw the Cattle Egret perched on the dead trees east of the reed beds, where the egrets and harriers roost. I waited and waited until I eventually had a good but brief view of the juv Little Bittern clambering over reeds and then out of sight at 11.05am for a few seconds only - sadly not quite long enough to press the shutter on the camera though! We were treated to stupendous views of a Red Kite soaring overhead with marsh harriers hassling at 10.30am and it hung around for quite a while. Cettis Warblers could be heard bursting into song. After 3 hours of standing waiting in the same spot in hope of that elusive picture I had to give up at 1.50pm to go to the cafe for lunch with Eddie before they stopped serving at 2pm. BIG MISTAKE! Note to self: 'Always take sandwiches when birding'. I got a phone call to let me know that it was showing at around 2.10pm. By the time we got back to the main path where it had been seen, it was showing (2.35pm), but limited viewing behind reeds - it had been out in the open and the paparazzi had got their pictures - I was not a happy bunny! Oh well, you win some, you lose some!

Eddie and I walked up to Parrinder Hide and had distant but lovely views of the Buff-breasted Sandpiper, loads of pied wagtails, a white wagtail, at least 7 yellow wagtails, meadow pipits, several ruff, redshanks, lapwings, curlew sandpiper, lots of lapwings, 2 snipe, 1 Little Stint and 2 Spoonbills.

Going back along the main path we watched the Little Bittern until 7.43pm this evening and these were my best views. Watched it fishing and got a few records shots - beautiful bird and was my first juv. The last one I saw was an adult at Titchwell a few years ago.

For those of you going tomorrow - it definately helps if you are tall!!!

I have made my sandwiches for tomorrow!

PALLID HARRIER turned up now at Watton this evening!!!
DOTTEREL x 2 at Cley
Pectoral Sandpiper at Cantley.

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment