SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 18 February 2015

Traumatic Day!

I just don't know how I am managing to cope with my new job with what is going on right now, I really don't.

As I expected, Father was in a serious state of Delirium, also known as 'acute confusional state' which can be caused by surgery. [www.nhs.uk/ipgmedia/national/.../Assets/Delirium.pdf] I have seen this many times with patient's who have had hip replacements and this happened to my father when he had a previous hip operation a few years back. I knew what to expect, but it was still very, very upsetting. He was shouting, was aggressive and lashing out at anyone that attempted to do any care etc. Because of this, the physios were not able to even think about getting him out of bed. He had been shouting all through the night, refused breakfast and lunch and had not been drinking at all. In my half an hour lunch I went to see him – I attempted to help him sip some water, but  he got really angry and lashed out at me. I remained calm, but when I left and walked down the corridor to leave I just broke down. Had to pull myself together quickly though, as I had to return to my job.

Left work at 4pm. Had to fly down town to get a folder for my new job. Got some of Father's favourite foods from Sainsburys. Whizzed home, ate a microwave meal standing up. Whizzed back to hospital for a Consultants appointment that I had at 5.40pm. Then went to visit Father again. I was relieved to see that he was much calmer. I helped him eat his supper. He managed to eat half a banana, a small amount of egg sandwich, ice-cream and a caramel swissroll (which I bought in). He didn't want the Sainsbury's Rhubarb Yoghurt I bought, but at least he had had something to eat. I forgot to bring grapes in my tired state – pity, as he loves grapes. He even had several sips of water through a straw which proves he's still not right as he never drinks water at all normally, only orange juice and coffee. He also had a 1/4 of a cup of coffee. He looked absolutely shattered and I just sat holding his hand and re-assuring him and reminding of what had happened and how things were now. It was torture leaving him at 8.30pm, but I had to go. Mother couldn't see him today, she was too shattered and had too much to do. The cat had lashed out at Mother after a long phone call and she tells me she looks like dracula with a long scratch across her face!!! My little sister Vivien is still really ill with her cold/flue virus and too ill to visit Father which she is really upset and distraught over. Difficult times indeed.

Thank you to the very supportive email messages and comments on here, much appreciated.

4 comments:

  1. Poor you... you are really having to care for three people at the moment... your Dad, your Mum... your sister!
    Make damned sure you care for yourself, gal!!
    The other's need you and your experience...
    take a couple of minutes or so extra to eat properly...
    it may seem that you haven't the time...
    but eating slowly and carefully... even if it is a nuked meal...
    gives you the time to sit and think.
    Spring is on the horizon... your Dad will be able to recover in better weather...
    Just a thort...
    have you got a 'phone that has apps?
    If you have, try and find one that plays bird songs and calls....
    if you haven't got one on there already...
    Pauline has on hers...
    and entertain him with birdsong....
    or even quiz him with it if you think that it wouldn't stress him!!
    And, don't forget... it will entertain you as well!!
    And that is just as important at the moment...
    Keep well!! Your family needs you.
    And keep an eye open for that Eagle Owl....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are with you Penny and I hope your Dad gets on the road to recovery soon.

    Cheers,

    Seumus

    ReplyDelete