SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER ELEVEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 16 October 2024

SHETLAND BIRD NEWS & MORE!

Rare  Bird  Alert  News
Sooty Shearwaters x 10 flew past Sumburgh Head.
Yellow-browed Warbler at cemetery plantation, Vidlin.
Yellow-browed Warbler at Hamnavoe, Lunna.
Red-breasted Flycatcher in garden at Sandgarth, north of Voe.
Yellow-browed Warbler, Hawfinch at Wadbister, north of north of Laxfirth.
Olive-backed Pipit in garden, then flew off at Loch of Hillwell.
Long-eared Owl at Cunningsburgh.
 
Bluethroat at Skaw, Whalsay.
Yellow-browed Warbler, Common Rosefinch at Otterswick, Yell.
Eastern Yellow Wagtail (probable) at Aith, Fetlar.


Atrocious weather, not cold really, just very strong winds and rain. Not many leaves to sweep up now! Checked the sunken garden in Scalloway and the Burn of Njugalswater, SW of Bridge of Fitch again in gales and rain – a few Redwings, nothing else found. Bought a funky patchwork design chair to sit next to the radiator in my kitchen, far more comfortable than a pine chair! Super comfortable upright, older person's chair (that's me!). Picked up my turquoise wool binded carpet from Shetland Wool Brokers, which was an off cut from my new carpet and I asked them to bind the edges with turquoise wool, so my office chair can sit on this and not ruin the main carpet – they had a job to make the 5-ply wool stitch the carpet edges and wanted to give it to me free, being as it was finished as perfect as they wanted it, but I insisted on paying for it – looks brilliant! Nipped to Tesco. Drove home. News came through of a American Robin found on North Rondaldsay late afternoon!
I've obviously been supporting Lucy today. She has moved into her new flat and she is exhausted. I can't believe the manager at her new abode, took her food shopping and got her to buy a microwave after moving in aswell, no wonder Lucy is tired! Lucy was very appreciative of Maureen's (Senior Manager) help, which sounded like it was for most of the day. The most important thing is that her mobile phone signal is working, phew! I had several phone calls this afternoon and evening, all calm and oddly chilled queries and advice sort from Lucy – I think she is too worn out to get cross, poor girl! She forgot to bring her TV aerial, so someone will pick that up for her. I have posted chocolates and a tin of nice biscuits to arrive tomorrow from Amazon and a bouquet of flowers and a vase from Vivien and I will arrive on Friday. This evening I spent ages typing up a regular Shopping List for Lucy and emailed it to the staff to print out for her. From the old care home, she has been given her bed, a bedside cabinet, wardrobe (already there), an armchair, a chest of draws and a kettle. She doesn't have a toaster or a pedal bin in the kitchen yet and I am sure there are many other things she will need to buy. We will see how the next few days goes. I actually feel a huge sense of relief that she has moved in and is safe. Vivien is very sweetly going over to stay in a hotel for a couple of nights, for the second week running and visiting Lucy, which will be a huge support for Lucy.

No comments:

Post a Comment