SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER ELEVEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 26 August 2024

MacKenzie's Farm Shop

After research on who sells what wood, how big the bags are, prices and delivery prices for my multi-stove fire, I decided to go with MacKenzie's Farm Shop. Its not cheap buying hard wood logs wherever you get them from, but it was free delivery if I ordered two bags (plus I was only a few miles away) and this made Mackenzie's Farm Shop the best choice all round. Plus they allowed me to go and look at the logs and gave me a free trial bag of logs! Very sadly, the fabulous Farm shop and cafe has closed down (see details about this on their website) and is up for sale, but they still sell many things on their on-line site, which I hadn't realised until fairly recently. Hazel was extremely prompt in replying to my emails (which is rare nowadays with any business) and with very short notice (less than a day) Hazel and her husband Kenneth agreed to my request of delivering me two tonne bags of hardwood logs after I finished work this evening. I wanted to get stocked up for the Winter in the dry weather and today was the only day this week with guaranteed sunshine and no rain! I didn't want wet logs going in the shed.

It was not an easy task, with the logistics of getting anywhere near my shed, as they would be delivered by trailer, so my ordered two tonne bags had to be brought in 10 smaller bags and then dragged round my side gate, up the steep steps to the patio by Kenneth and Hazel and then we all took the logs out of each small bag and put them into two tonne bags in my shed. I was allowed to keep the two large bags, but they needed the 10 small bags back again. It was very kind of them to help me, above and beyond what they needed to. More hands make light work as they say and it was all done by 5.30pm! After they left, I had a sort out in the shed and was in there until 7.30pm. Another big job ticked off my long list!

Here is the link to their website for lots of fabulous products, including household fuel!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Penny,
    Yes wood is costly, but not as costly as pellets. We need to change to a pellet furnace as it uses hopper fed pellets rather like oil... ie: on-demand. Over here logs are not sold by weight, but by volume.... one pallet of 70 x 1.5cubic metre of pellets costs 342€... the same volume of 50cm logs is 165€... but there are airgaps. Each sack is 0.02 cubic mtres, weighs 15kg and stacks more easily than logs [it is also waterproof!]
    The biggest differences are, as this is our sole heating, is the calorific value, which is around 3 logs per sack of pellets.... but leaves a lot of ash and reusable charcoal.
    But you are using your logs as a focus as well as heat.... there are over here, pellet burning glass fronted fires... look frightfully swish and modern.... in use!! When sitting alone and unlit they have all the charm of a lump of metal stood in the corner!!
    Sounds a shame the shop and café have closed.... but that's life.... you need feet across the threshold!!
    And I am beginning to hate lists!!

    ReplyDelete