SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER ELEVEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 8 August 2024

SHETLAND BIRD NEWS & MORE!

Rare  Bird  Alert  News 
Sooty Shearwaters x 2 flew past Sumburgh Head.
Sooty Shearwaters x4 flew south past Esha Ness.

Sooty Shearwater, Storm Petrels x 6 flew past Lamba Ness, Unst.
Glaucous Gull 2s on fish cages at Vatsetter, Yell
 

The midges here this evening are absolutely dreadful, clouds of them attacking me whilst trying to water my plant pots this evening. People have asked me "how did you survive the Winter there?", "what about the long dark days in Winter?". I have no issues at all with anything the weather throws at me or dark, long Winter nights. BUT, I have serious issues with these midges, never experienced anything like it. My arms are so sore from scratching my bites. I have bought all kinds of things to help with the itching, which have only helped a little bit. I sprayed the "Avon Oh So Soft" oil spray on this evening for the first time (purchased via Amazon) – it made no difference whatsoever! 😠 Roll on Winter!!! 🌨 After commenting about this on the Shetland Gardener's Facebook page tonight, a local lady said they are quite bad this year, that's an understatement. For any local Shetland folk reading this, I'm used to midges in Norfolk where I moved from, eg. you don't even think about walking along the main path at Titchwell RSPB on a mid Summer's evening, you will be eaten alive, but they are on a whole other level here! Exhausting!

3 comments:

  1. Penny, I use a cream called odomos. Works a treat & keeps all flying bugs away,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Penny, wear long sleeved tops and close fitting trousers or leggings sprayed with permethrin. I spray my tops and trousers with Permethrin by a company called Sawyer. It's still effective even after the clothes are washed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penny, I know exactly what you mean.... summer midge eruptions are hateful.... way back when [you'd've been a wee lass] my thenwife and I were on holiday in the West... Poolewe to be precise....
    We were alongside Loch Maree, driving towards Gairloch when she spotted what looked like a diver...
    I agreed... and foolishly tried to take a photo.
    Because of the midges, I closed myself up completely ... troos in socks, waterproof on and gloves over the cuffs. That only left my head, but the waterproof jacket had a mouldable copper wire face opening.... I made the opening as tiny as possible and pressed it close to my face, leaving just my eyes and top of my nose exposed.... I got out of the car and used the roof as a tripod... it was a bit distant for my then maximum 200mm M42 Vivitar lens... but I was determined to nab a photo or two.
    I was out of the car for probably five minutes.... got back in and removed clothing and we carried on back to our caravan near Inverewe Gardens.
    Shortly after arriving back, my eyes began to itch terribly and I went and looked in the mirror....
    a Pink Panda stared back at me!!
    Next day we went in to Gairloch and bought two anti mosquito hats with a beekeepers netting all round the brim... the bottom of the net had a lead shot ribbon all round that kept it in place on our shoulders. We wore them outside at all times.
    But I lived with the Pink Panda look for just over a week.
    Locals thought we were mad because they never get that reaction.... and I don't here now.... the body builds up antibodies so that even the initial itch vanishes very rapidly... so, another couple of summer midge season should see you OK, but until then, I recommend a camo fisherman's hat with a mosquito net hanging from it!!

    ReplyDelete