SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 11 May 2013

Spectacular Birding at Cley!


 Rook flying across Salthouse.

I didn't get up early, needed to wake up naturally from my busy week at work. I headed for Cley, even though a Long-eared Owl came up on the pager at Titchwell on route. The weather forecast was pretty accurate today. Sun in the morning, rain and then in the afternoon seriously torrential and I mean torrential rain with a rainbow, then a spectacular sunny evening with amazing light.

Popped into Cleyspy to buy a new baselayer and a funky waterproof bag, just big enough to put my camera in, when I don't want to take the whole camera rucksack.

Spent a wonderful three hours, photographing Grey Wagtails and a Pied Wagtail. I had a job to get up when I had finished, as I stayed sitting in the same position for the duration of my photography session!
 Pied Wagtail at Glandford Ford.

  Pied Wagtails at Glandford Ford.

 GREY WAGTAILS
Glandford Ford


Drove to Coastguards to have a very late lunch. Watched a Stonechat on the fence wires. The skies were getting blacker and blacker – the heavens opened and with incredibly strong winds. Its a long time since I have seen rain like that! Luckily I was in the car!

Went to Walsey Hills NOA – had wonderful views of 1 male Bullfinch and 2 females sitting in a bush just near the feeders. Cettis's Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap and Whitethroat singing. Not too much else of note.
 Bullfinch at Walsey Hills NOA.

Gramborough Hill – two Wheatears near the fence line looking very wet and bedraggled after the heavy deluge. A Sedge Warbler was singing in the bushes by the hill and a few linnets and meadow pipits around. A Common Sandpiper was feeding in the stream to the right of the path. At the top of Gramborough Hill, I spent quite a while up here watching hirundines flying low over the hill along with Sandwich Terns in absolutely beautiful light. A rainbow appeared against dramatic dark blue skies and Weybourne Cliffs. Saw a Barn Owl distantly.
 Wheatears at Gramborough Hill, Salthouse.

 'Get off my patch' – Skylark on Gramborough Hill, Salthouse.

Sand Martin flying over Gramborough Hill, Salthouse.

Cruise ship sailing past Costa del Cley!

Cley Marshes NWT and Walsey Hills NOA.

 Cley Marshes NWT.

 Cley Marshes NWT and Walsey Hills NOA.

Went back to Coastguards and walked to where the cattle were on the Eye Field and saw one Yellow Wagtail. There were also at least 4 Wheatears here and I saw a different Stonechat to the one I saw earlier (this one had colour rings). I took tons of pictures of Swallows skimming low through the cattle and got some pictures of Sandwich Terns overhead with Sand Eels! It was a very beautiful evening and the light was just awesome.
 Sandwich Terns flying over Cley with Sand Eels.

 Swallows skimming over the Eye Field in beautiful light.

Ended the evening listening to Nightingales singing – what a wonderful end to my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment