SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 20 September 2015

Chilled Last Day Of My Holiday!

I was up early and decided to have a different approach to birding on the last day of my holiday. By 6.55am I was sitting in the hides at Holme Marsh NWT! I had no intention of staying there longer than a couple or three hours, but it was so peaceful, I ended up staying all day! I didn't see anything spectacular, but a good general selection of birds were seen: Common Buzzards x 2, Marsh Harriers x 4, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Siskins x 17 west, Little Grebes x 2, Gadwall, Tufted Ducks, Swallows x 3 west, Blue Tit, Wren, Moorhen, Coot, Cetti's Warbler (heard), Robin, Heron, Egyptian Geese x 6 flew east, Barn Owl and the usual Woodpigeons and Magpies.  I met and chatted with some lovely people today – Alex who is a volunteer at Sculthorpe Moor NR and also John from Glasgow who was staying in Norfolk on holiday (lovely to meet you), Gary H. also popped in and Eddie M. briefly. I left at 3pm to make my breakfast/lunch at my parent's house and then returned to the hides where I bumped into Richard B and his better half Jessica (only joking Richard!).

There was nothing exciting on the pager for Norfolk, until messages came up about a Red-footed Falcon roosting yesterday and then seen again late afternoon today. Another poor day for new birds generally. I'm sure the next few weeks will become increasingly exciting for us all though. I will have to hope the megas don't get found too far away, as I can only get so far light wise after work now. I don't think I will be able to walk Blakeney Point after work before the sun hits the deck, oh well! Roll on next weekend!

Will update this a bit more tomorrow, but shattered now and at work in the morning.

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

2 comments:

  1. we always know we're 'safe' when you're on holiday Penny, we knew it would be a crap week and it was. You seem to have your holidays far too early, I think mid-October would be better....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue, I generally book a September holiday, not just for birds, but a break from work aswell. I have a week booked in mid October too! Not getting anything in life right at the moment Sue!

    ReplyDelete