SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Friday 28 September 2012

Dripping wet at Gun Hill AGAIN!!!

Parked up on the main road at Burnham Overy and walked down the track towards Gun Hill. It was beautiful and sunny when I started off but with uninspiring south west winds! I had my new walking boots on and they were heaven to walk in. Also had my new camera backpack with double rucksack cover - never again will I get that camera and lens wet!!! Very few birds about, nothing along the hedge lined track, before I climbed up on to the sea wall – how very different to the deluge of birds seen here on Monday! As I walked along the seabank I could see good numbers of redshank in the creek and a grey plover was of note. I joined a couple of birders from Nottingham to look for the elusive Booted Warbler – we walked slowly along the bank, scanning the sueda below. Good numbers of linnets, reed buntings and a few goldfinches were seen, but no sign of the Booted Warbler at all. Further along the bank I spotted a warbler flying back away from us and got excited, but quickly realised that it was just a willow warbler. Richard 'The Hat' as he is affectionately known (Cley birder) then joined us and both Richard and I slowly walked through the sueda to see if we could find the bird – only birds that appeared were a wren, reed bunting and a willow warbler. I showed Richard were I saw and photographed the Red-breasted Flycatcher on Monday and then I walked on alone to Gun Hill. Richard returned along the bank to continue searching for the Booted Warbler. It was now raining, oh joy!!! Took ruck sack off and put two rain covers over the ruck sack. The rain continued and although it was not anywhere near as torrential as Monday it was still pretty heavy. Only birds of note at Gun Hill were two Wheatears and a couple of robins. There were no birds at all in the bushes seaward side of Gun Hill. My original plan was to continue walking through the dunes, onto Holkham and then catch the coastliner bus back to my car, but in this rain and in a south westerly wind, I couldn't see the point! I returned along the seawall. I passed a birder on route who said that a few birders had seen the Booted Warbler – lucky them! It was driving rain now, head-on as I walked back. My hair dripped around my face and the mascara ran (you've got to laugh!) Met several blog readers today – nice to meet you all. It was SO lovely to eventually get in my car and sit and have a cup of coffee. As I sat with dripping coats etc in the car, the sun swept across the dunes and Gun Hill and all was sunny again – WHY did it wait until I got back to my car. There wasn't a hint that the sun was going to shine, as I had walked back! Had I known this I would have hung on to look for the Booted Warbler again. I WASN'T going back again!

The afternoon seemed to disappear very quickly. News came through of Buff-breasted Sandpiper in a field by the lighthouse at Happisburgh – I seemed to remember one there before. My recollection was correct when John F. told me later that yes there had been one there and that it was our dearly departed Robin Abel that had found it. I wanted to see the B.B.S. but decided it was too far to travel. My next stop I decided was The West Track at Warham. As I drove along the track up to the concrete pad, I immediately noticed loads of broken tree branches all the way along, including one huge broken branch precariously dangling above me as I drove under it! My first thoughts were of a mini tornado, until I saw loads of deposited straw strewn about by the concrete pad, obviously a very large piece of farm machinery had travelled along here. The west track produced more rain, a big tit flock of long-tailed, blue, great and chaffinches, but nothing exciting with them. The copse at the end only produced one chaffinch. Bumped into John F. along the track. Two botanists had walked East Hills and a birder behind them. We didn't bump into the birder so had nobody to quiz about what was out there – not very much I presume from no news on the pager. But 'one' shouldn't presume!

Drove to CleySpy to see if they could service my tripod as I can hardly undue the clips to extend the legs on it - corroded with sea/salt/spray. I can't remember his name, but one of the staff who works there, said that the clips just needed losening, which he did for me there and then, job done and the tripod now works brilliantly! Excellent service! The old CleySpy shop is now an art gallery/cafe and the new main CleySpy Shop is at the back of the carpark - first time I have been in here since they moved. I dreamed about owning a Swarovski scope and then left!

Went to Holt to look in two countrywear shops for a new waterproof coat, but didn't like any I saw. Delivered a late birthday card to a friend and then went home early.

I heard through my 'Hot Line' that a Barred Warbler was in the 'Lupins' at Blakeney Point today.

Didn't take a single photograph today, so there are none to be added! Still got tons to loads to other posts though as I am sure you are all aware!

Main Highlights in Norfolk – RBA
Richard's Pipit from John's F's bedroom! - see his account HERE
Sacred Ibis at Salthouse
White-rumped Sandpiper at Breydon
Buff-breasted Sandpiper at Happisburgh
Glossy Ibis at Welney
Citrine Wagtail (2.05pm on pager) 'possible...' at Titchwell RSPB and then flew off
Citrine Wagtail (came on pager at 8.44pm) on fresh marsh from Parrinder Hide, Titchwell RSPB at 11.45am!!! Again, same old..... would have been nice to know about this in the morning or even early afternoon would have been nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment