SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 10 September 2012

BAIRD'S SANDPIPER at Titchwell!!!

I was lucky I did the early shift at work today, so was able to get away at a decent time.

Wonderful scope views this evening of the Baird's Sandpiper at 5.30pm at Titchwell RSPB, found by Alan Davies (Biggest Twitch). You need an 800mm lens (see Steve G's picture here) at least or digiscope if you want decent pictures though! Didn't even need to go in Island Hide, walked just past here and viewed from the bank. Best views I have had of one. It flew up with the flock of dunlin, curlew sandpipers and ringed plovers several times whilst I was there, but was fairly easy to pick out again, being much smaller than the dunlin, with longer body and very long wings. Head on it could be mistaken for a pectoral sandpiper for a second. I also heard through the grapevine that someone had seen a possible Pec Sand at Holme NWT Wader pools last night!!! Could this have been the same bird maybe? I was showing a lady the bird through my scope who wanted to know what it looked like - it was her first visit to Norfolk - whilst I was doing this a whole sheen of light and sunshine bathed across the waders and the Baird's - the best photo opportunity I had and I missed it! Took loads of pictures, but none any good really. It was absolutely freezing cold there this evening with strong, chilly winds and this did not help my still sore tooth - more painkillers when I got home and an early night.

Looks like it was first seen on Sunday!!! - See HERE

UPDATE: Late news of a stunning Dotterel on Holme beach at midday - see picture HERE

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment