SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 23 September 2012

EAST HILLS ALL DAY!!!

My first solo expedition to East Hills!

I left the house before dawn and watched the sun rising as I drove to Warham Greens. Parked the car on the concrete pad. Searched for the Red-breasted Flycatcher along the West Track, but it was a bit too early I think for it to appear. Started walking out at 7.40am. Half way to East Hills, the Red-breasted Flycatcher appeared on the pager! I wasn't over concerned that I had missed this bird, as I felt that I would find something equally if not more exciting, especially as I would be out there all day. It was high tide at 12.28pm so this mean't I had to start early before the tide started to fill the creeks in.

Walking out to the hills I saw several curlew, little egrets, meadow pipits and 2 jackdaws. At the tidal pool a snipe took off. I felt so excited when I realised I was the only birder out there! I found a single goldcrest, a wren and a sparrowhawk that was perched on a branch of a tree at the far end and later on a single blackbird. I tried all the usual techniques in finding a good bird, sat in silence overlooking the sycamores, pished, squeaked and played ybw, rbf, bw etc to entice something out. None of it worked. This was the least amount of birds I have ever seen in one day EVER! Of course I expected something to turn up on the 'mainland' while out here and it did – a BOOTED WARBLER at Burnham Over Dunes found by Carl Chapman (Congratulations). The expected rain started at 4pm and I continued searching and saw absolutely nothing. Another birder then joined me called Adey Long (I think he said) who had just walked out to see what had dropped in – he was disappointed! Not as disappointed as me, I can tell you! A chiffchaff would have been good or maybe a yellow-browed warbler or better still a Magnolia Warbler!!!

Walked back in pouring rain. Got very muddy crossing one of the creeks. Drove straight home and took an hour to sort all my wet clothes and gear, now all drying on radiators. Still pouring with rain at 11pm.

On a positive note, I didn't fall over, or sink in the quick sand – that's the only positive thoughts I have today!

Hoping tomorrow will improve. Mark Golley told me this evening, that the weather looks awesome for rares everywhere over the next few days. I hope he's right! When the rain stops, get out there!!!

Blimey, I have had 1,034 views of my blog today!!! Average is between 600-800 views of day. Posting pictures probably helps!!!

A birder told me today that he had seen 2 whinchats and 3 redstarts at Brancaster Golfcourse this morning. He also said this area is very underwatched, very true. Maybe because you have to pay to park here!

Main Highlights in Norfolk Today – RBA
Red-breasted Flycatcher at Holme and also the West Track, Warham.
BOOTED WARBLER at Burnham Over Staithe.
Yellow-browed Warblers at Warham, Holkham, Blakeney, Titchwell and Thornham.
Barred Warbler at Blakeney Point.
Pectoral Sandpiper at Titchwell RSPB
Leach's Petrel, Gorleston.
Long-tailed Skua, Pom Skua, Waxham.
Mandarin at Cley NWT.

No comments:

Post a Comment