SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 27 September 2012

No Birding Today Either!

I might aswell have gone to work this week!

Got up late and then packed new camera bag and assembled new 7D and spent awhile changing the settings on the camera etc. The freebie (see yesterday's post) Manfrotto monopod is absolutely awesome! Flew to Tescos to buy party food and flowers and then to Lesley's Retirement Party at work. A good number of people there and Andrea's speech was absolutely incredible – she started off with 'Are you are all sitting comfortably?' - then I'll begin....' she told the story of Norma's (Lesley's real name, long story) career both in the NHS and personally in a magical, comical way that I have never heard in a speech before – had me in stitches! Everyone was talking about it afterwards. Lots of food was consumed by all. Lydia had made a beautiful 'Retirement' cake and it was good to see and chat with lots of people, some of whom have left and had come today to help Lesley celebrate. I tied all the balloons to Lesley's bags etc at the end just to amuse her and myself! We also made the Retirement banners into a sash and made her way them as she walked out of the hospital! I think she had a good send off. I will miss her so much, but fortunately she only lives a short distance away so hopefully I will still see her every now and again. The girls have also organised our christmas party - dinner and disco - brilliant! Last year's Murder Mystery thing was not my cup of tea. You can't beat a good boogie at christmas! Blimey, can't bellieve I am talking about Christmas - STOP!

In the afternoon I went to a outdoor wear shop at Hardwick and bought a new pair of my favourite ever walking boots – a pair of Zamberlan Boots - the second I put them on, it was as though they were made for me personally. I owned a pair of Zamberlan Boots in the 90's and had those boots for 15 years! After that I bought a pair of Scarpa Boots which leaked after 3 years and then a pair of Northface Gortex Boots when I went to Fair Isle (3 years ago) which were my current boots and the soles was flapping off and they leaked. To have another pair of Zamberlan boots is heaven - will test them out on Blakeney Point this weekend! They don't need testing out though, the second you put a new pair of Zamberlan's on, you can walk any distance with no discomfort or blisters – I can't recommend them enough.

Tomorrow I am GOING BIRDING ALL DAY!

Main Highlights in Norfolk – RBA
Booted Warbler, Barred Warbler Burnham Overy
Balearic Shearwater, 2 Sooty Shearwaters, 37 Bonxies,
8 Arctic Skuas etc at Sheringham
Sabine's Gull at Salthouse
Yellow-browed Warblers and Redstarts at various locations
Richard's Pipit and Firecrest at Holme
Black Guillemot, Sooty Shearwater, Manx Shearwater, 35 Bonxies,
5 Arctic Skuas, Arctic Tern, 2 Puffin at Cley Coastguards
2 Balearic Sheartwaters at Walcott

2 comments:

  1. Hi Penny, where's the place at Hardwick you went to? I need new boots too!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn

      Norfolk Country clothing - here is the website: http://www.norfolkcountryclothing.com/

      From southgates/town follow the road (cemetery either side of you) to Hardwick, first set of traffic lights (after cemetery), turn left and then second left (first left is B&Q) and the shop is just on the left hand side of the road, park right in front of the shop doors.

      Cheers, Penny

      Delete