SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Monday 11 October 2021

SHETLAND TRIP – DAY 11: Yellow Wagtail, White-billed Diver & A Magical Evening!!!

Sunrise from the cottage this morning
 

I was up early, no messing about this morning! I saw a Wheatear at Levenwick on route north. Stopped at Gulberwick to see the possible Eastern Yellow Wagtail, which later was confirmed by sonogram as a Yellow Wagtail, but still wonderful to see. Lovely to bump into Jacquie and Dave here too. After spending far too much time taking pictures of the wagtail, I returned to my car, parked by the church.

Yellow Wagtail at Gulberwick
 
Gulberwick

I had a lovely wander opposite the church, along a track with lots of scrub/hedges and burn, leading to a garden (private, no access). I didn't actually see anything here, but it looked potentially brilliant! It was cold today with a NW wind, but I didn't mind that, anything but too hot is good. I could cope with all the wind and the cold in Shetland easily, but the rain would drive me insane, constantly wiping lenses all day long! Fine whilst you're toasting your toes by the fire though!

Headed further north to South Nesting Bay to see the White-billed Diver. On route I stopped to attempt to use the phone-scope kit again, videoing three Whooper Swans on a loch – I was nicely interrupted by Hugh H. and we had a lovely catch up. I love photography, but I'm beginning to hate phone -scoping! Hugh kindly told me where to view the Diver from. I headed along the road and parked up in a pull-in area with gate, where two other birders were scoping the White-billed Diver – before you reach Brettabister. Set my scope up and had fabulous views (although distant) in the sunshine of the White-billed Diver. I also saw what I believe where several Harbour Porpoises in the far distance. The birders standing with me later left and I spent far too long trying again, to use the phone-scoping kit to take some video of the White-billed Diver!! Failed miserably. Other birds seen here: Black Guillemots, Gannets, Kittiwake, Herring Gulls, Shag, Hooded Crows, Raven.

Loch on the way to South Nesting Bay
 
Whooper Swans on route to South Nesting Bay
 
Wren on route to South Nesting Bay
 
Heron fishing on route to South Nesting Bay
 

I was very cold now, as hadn't bothered to put gloves or a hat on, even though they were all in the car! Warmed up with coffee and late lunch and headed to Aith. I stopped at a loch to watch three Red-breasted Mergansers, along with a Heron fishing and a Wren appeared from a crevice in a stone wall. I hadn't quite realised that I would be passing Kergord on route and after noticing there wasn't a single person at the Bluethroat spot, decided to stop there for a look first. Sadly, no sign of the Bluethroat at all, but presumably it was feeding somewhere low down to keep out of the wind. I didn't give it a huge amount of time to be honest. My waterproof Northface trousers were plastered in mud! Returning to my car, I realised it was far too late to be going to Aith. Hopefully I will get to see the Woodchat Shrike before it departs or I do! Lots of Starlings sitting on farm gates at Kergord, which was lovely to watch as the light started to fade.

Starlings gathering to roost at Kergord
 

The sunset on the west side as I was driving back was incredible, which I really should have stopped to take pictures of. I had a phone call to say the Ring-necked Duck was showing just by the shed at Spiggie Loch, so detoured to there asap! I just about saw it before the light went completely and my pictures were rubbish, but at least I saw it! Returned home feeling very tired and wishing someone would cook my tea. Fell asleep until 9.45pm, having not had any tea!

Loch Spiggie
 

I had heard that the Northern Lights had a good chance of showing this evening, so for the first time I tried to use the Canon R5. Did a quick search on line of settings for the Aurora Borealis for the R5 and tried to work out how to use the camera. Set up the freebie tripod I was given when I bought the R5 from Wex and had several attempts, firstly with the wrong settings and then eventually got some results! See next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment