SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 3 October 2021

SHETLAND TRIP – Day 3: Accident On Ferry & Red-breasted Flycatcher!

 RED-BREASTED FLYCATCHER
Lower Voe

 

Last night was interesting to say the least! The Phenergan 25mg tablets worked brillliantly. The ferry rocked all night long and I didn't feel sick at all – unbelievable. By 7.30pm, I was in bed with lights out! I took a while to get to sleep, but then slept all night! The cabin was seriously cosy, why had I not booked one before?!

Got up early and had the most interesting shower EVER!!! How I didn't fall over I really don't know! Packed all my gear up and then was second in the queue in the restaurant for breakfast. It was difficult to walk and a very kind member of staff carried my breakfast tray to my table for me. Not long after this, I was literally chucked out of my seat, landing on the floor and crashing into the corner of a table, hitting my head!!! I was looked after very kindly by 'Michael' who had carried my breakfast tray across for me. I've been added to the accident book!!! A senior member of staff came to assess me etc. It was such a shock, but I'm ok! Got to laugh, although it was scary at the time! My cup of tea had also followed me to the floor and a new one was brought over to me! After calming myself, I enjoyed my breakfast! An elderly Scottish gentleman remarked "Bloody terrible driving" after his breakfast landed on the floor – this had me in stitches!!! I returned to my cabin and waited for messages via the tannoy for leaving the ferry. We arrived in Lerwick at just before 8am, later than scheduled due to to the weather!

Collected my car from below deck and drove off into Lerwick, arriving at the Co-op carpark. Did some shopping in here of dry good items. John F. kindly phoned me to say did I know about the Red-eyed Vireo? OMG! I have never seen one and this would be a new bird for me! So, off I headed north to Brae, where the bird was found yesterday in the 'Community Wood'. After phoning Norfolk birders Jacquie and Dave B. (also here) I found out I needed to park up at the Co-op, which I found. Parked up and asked further directions from a local birder. Long story short, nobody had relocated the Red-eyed Vireo, but I did find a Willow Warbler, Siskins x 15+, Pied Wagtail, House Sparrows, a Redpoll and a Blackbird, which wasn't a bad start to my first day! I also found Norfolk birder Mike E. and Richard W. in the wood!

RED-BREASTED FLYCATCHER 
Lower Voe
 

Went to Lower Voe, where there were several birders and a cracking Red-breasted Flycatcher in the sycamores behind the pier. I managed to get some half decent shots with the Canon 7D Mark II and 100-400mm lens – fabulous! There was also 3 Herons and 6 Razorbills in the harbour.

I returned to Lerwick and went into Tescos for fridge items eg cheese, margerine, vege meals etc and in the car park, I bumped into Ashley Saunders and Nick with their Oriole Birding tour group! So many Norfolk birders this morning already! Had a brief chat with them and then left to head south to Whimbrel's Cottage at Levenwick, where I will be staying for the next three weeks.

Met up with the owners Dale S. and her husband Ash, who were really lovely people and warmly greeted me on my arrival with coffee. We sat and chatted for a while and they showed me around the cottage and how everything works etc. A peat fire was burning away in a wood burning stove and it was seriously warm in the cottage. I had a lovely surprise – Nicki turned up to say hello to me! Nicki is the owner (along with her husband Pete) of the 'Voortrekker' apartments, where I stayed two years ago – it was so lovely to see her! Dale and Ash left around 3pm to catch their ferry back to Aberdeen. It was so cosy in this stunning little cottage, that it was difficult to leave to go birding. I unpacked all food items and left my clothes to unpack later.

Whimbrels Cottage where I am staying at Levenwick
 
Inside Whimbrels Cottage where I am staying at Levenwick
 
Levenwick Beach, late evening
 

Headed to Ocraquoy to see the recently found Olive-backed Pipit. Lots of birders here and I managed to see the OBP in flight only, but to be honest can't really count it as light faded and my observation of it was poor! I returned to Levenwick and headed to the beach car park and a quick walk on the beach, where I saw a Ringed Plover scurrying along the sand. It was bitterly cold, I returned to the cottage.

Spent the evening unpacking everything and cooking a very light tea, as too tired to cook properly! Fell asleep and nearly didn't write this! Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment