SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 9 October 2021

SHETLAND TRIP – DAY 9: Searching for Migrants in the Rain!

Yes, it did rain all day, but it wasn't lashing down and there were spells of no rain, although not many. The rain became more persistent later in the day. The sofa bed enabled me to sleep far more comfortably and my back pain was considerably better this morning, thank goodness!

View from the cottage at Levenwick


First stop was to drive south a few miles to get petrol, again I was the only one at the pumps and no queues! Bought a few supplies from the store next to the garage and then headed north.  Spent some time at North Hillside looking for yesterday's Bluethroat, but no luck. Had a lovely wonder around several roads in the area – there are some fascinating houses in Shetland and I love seeing what everyone grows in their gardens.

I have peered into this garden twice now, looks good for birds!
 
Funky houses on Shetland!
 

Headed to Lerwick and to the Sound of Burn (see my last visit) to see what I could find, sadly nothing! This is such a pretty little spot and it was lovely to see again, but no migrants at all. I crossed the road by the bridge and followed the burn down to the beach and did find a couple of Blackbirds and a few Siskins feeding, but nothing else. The rain was heavier now and I returned to my car. Had a drive round Lerwick and found myself in a car park viewing a large grass field and the sea beyond. I decided this was a good place for lunch and had my cheese sandwiches, ginger cake and coffee. Left here and nipped into Tescos to buy a few items – it was incredibly busy.

Sound of Burn, Lerwick
 
Sea aster – always colour, even in the rain

Windswept Penny at Wester Quarff 
 
Wester Quarff
 

I left Lerwick and headed south and spent quite a while at Wester Quarff, to see if I could find the Rosefinch again, no luck with that either! Several House Sparrows feeding in the crop and the big flock of Redwings were still in the field next to the road, along with a few Blackbirds.

Sandsayre Pier at Leebiton
 
Leebiton
 
Hooded Crow at Sandwick
 
Pink-footed Geese at Sandwick
 

Drove around Fladdabister and Sandwick to look for migrants. Found some Greylag Geese and later on found 16 Greylag Geese with 3 Pink-footed Geese (which initially I thought were Bean Geese!) and one Snipe in the same field. Also saw several Hooded Crows and more House Sparrows. Turnstones and Oystercatchers were feeding amongst the seaweed on the shoreline at Leebiton, which is where I photographed a Stejneger's Stonechat in October 2019. Also a Heron and Redshanks seen here and a couple of seals were in the bay. Everything was wet now, binoculars and camera drying on a towel in the car, coat wet, boots muddy – it was time to head home!

Spent the evening cleaning wellies and walking boots, doing some washing and watching Strictly! Too tired to go through pictures tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment