SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 14 October 2021

SHETLAND TRIP – DAY 14: STILL Raining! American Golden Plover!

BLACKBIRD
Along a driveway at Boddam

 

The weather forecast was spot on this morning – strong winds and rain! It was raining so hard, I couldn't even load the car up with my gear. The House Sparrows feeding on the lawn are increasingly daily, I'm hoping for a Rosefinch, even a Grosbeak would do!!! There were probably more House Sparrows than Starlings this morning. I eventually managed to get out around midday!

Starlings and House Sparrows feeding on the lawn
Whimbrel's Cottage, Levenwick


First stop was the petrol station, just south of me and again no queues at all. Popped into the shop to buy a few groceries and then headed to Fleck near Boddam, to try and find the juv. American Golden Plover that was found late yesterday – I found birders before I saw the plover! A handful of people were scoping distantly over a marsh. I parked my car up and walked along the roadside to join others. I could have left my SLR gear in the car, as the American Golden Plover was very distant, even in the scope and it rained on and off continually. The large Golden Plover flock the AGP was with, dispersed several times, making it difficult to relocate the bird. I managed with help of others to see the American Golden Plover briefly twice in bad conditions!
Rainbow at Boddam
 

I left and headed south to Scatness. There has been no news for the last few days about the Shorelarks that have been here (which I haven't seen yet), so I went for a look. Lots of Turnstones were feeding in the fields along the road to the parking area. My newly acquired back pain seems to be getting worse and I could hardly get out of the car, plus the winds were really strong and it was raining again, so gave up. Instead I sat in the layby at Scatness, just before the airport runway and enjoyed watching huge waves rolling in and Gannets plummeting into the sea. Along the shore I could see several Oystercatchers, Turnstones, Bar-tailed Godwits, a Curlew and a single Sanderling scurrying along the sand. Lots of gulls sailing in the wind. The skies, dark clouds and light were dramatic as the sun was setting – a fantastic scene. Couldn't be bothered to cook any dinner when I arrived back in Levenwick, so ate a cold, but scrumptious macaroni pie (see yesterday's picture).

Sunset at Scatness Beach

Jacquie and Dave told me that east winds are forecast this weekend, so it may bring in some more exciting birds. I still need Siberian Rubythroat, White's Thrush and an Orca please!!! I have just over a week left! Tomorrow seems to be less rainy than the last few days, so hopefully I will get out for longer, but with NW winds it will be chilly for the next couple of days. The wind switches to east at midnight on Saturday, straight east all day Sunday and SE on Monday, south on Tuesday, NE on Wednesday, N on Thursday, NW on Friday and Saturday and on Sunday its SW and I leave on the ferry! Arrive in Aberdeen on Monday 25th October and have two days to get back home to Norfolk (back to work on Wednesday). The time has gone so quickly here and I don't want to leave at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment