SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 2 October 2021

SHETLAND TRIP – Day 2: Drive To Aberdeen Ferry Terminal!

Bass Rock from my hotel


 

As I type, it is 4.45pm and the ferry has left 15 minutes early. I had an update from Northlink this morning to say the 4pm early sailing had been changed back to the original departure time – hopefully this means that the trip will be less rough than expected?!

The mattress on my bed was too soft, but I was beyond exhausation, so I slept pretty well.  The jacuzzi bath did not work (staff knew that, but I didn't know that until this morning) – no worries, I had a lovely soak in the bath anyway. Rooms that had hot tubs (presumably best rooms) had hot tubs outside below me, but no worries with noise later on. Found a tiny spider in my bed, which if any bigger would have made me jump!

Woke myself up with a shower and then did some birding from my window – a good list to start the day: Eiders, Cormorants, Curlew, Redshank, Oystercatchers, Gannets, Swallows, House Martins, Robins, Blackbirds and Robins in the cliff side scrub and Collared Doves.

Vegan Breakfast!

 

Packed up my gear and went downstairs for a scrumptious vegan breakfast of scrambled eggs with spinach, vege sausages, backed beans, tomatoes, toast, jams, orange juice and pot of tea. Put everything in the car and went for a short walk along the cliff top, but didn't see any different species of birds that I had already seen from my room window. Took a sea sickness tablet at 9am – the instructions were to take it the night before, but these tablets cause drowsiness, so didn't want to take them last night because of the long drive today.

A sleepy Penny!

 

Left the car park at 11.30am and struggled to reach Aberdeen. I had to stop for mini snoozes lots of times, the tablets made me feel very drowsy. Lots of loud singing had to be carried out with the window opened in lashing rain!!! After two mini petrol fill ups, I eventually reaching the NorthLink ferry terminal at 3.30pm.

The ferry has just hit the open sea and I am swaying in my restaurant seat!!!!! Huge white waves! May amend, change, add to this later or more than probably tomorrow, looking out of the restaurant window! Just waiting for the restaurant to open at 5.30pm and then I'm going to my cabin for the night!

My cabin on the ferry!
 
Rough seas!
 

I'm very impressed with my first cabin on this ferry. Its small, but has everything I need (Room 232 and mid ship). Not enough electric sockets though. Two single beds, small wardrobe rail, mirror, tea and coffee, kettle etc. Shower and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment