SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Friday 15 October 2021

SHETLAND TRIP – DAY 15: Grand Beach Tour!

MEAL BEACH, WEST BURRA
 
 
The weather for next week, doesn't hardly forecast any sunny days, so being as there were glimmers of sunshine today, I decided to return to some of my favourite beaches that I visited a couple of years ago. Very cold north west winds with a mixture of sun and rain. I counted 15 House Sparrows on the lawn this morning, along with several Starlings before I left. Headed to the Geosetter burn where I didn't find a single bird, but there was a huge flock of Starlings and House Sparrows feeding in a stubble field close by.

House Sparrows feeding on the lawn
 
 Geosetter Burn

Geosetter Burn – how a stile should be!
 
 
Parked up at St Ninian's Isle beach car park and had full intentions of walking across the tombola, but the wind and rain seemed to be increasing and I changed my mind! I don't mind the cold and the wind, but I can't see the point of getting soaked when I don't need to! Took several pictures, but nowhere near as scenic as on my last trip, when I had full sunshine. I watched a very amusing incident of a Hooded Crow flying in and landing in front of me, with what looked like a piece of toast! A Herring Gull then dive-bombed the crow to get the toast and failed – seconds later a Raven swooped in, easily pinching the toast and made off down the side of the hill with its prize! I would have loved to have caught that all on video! Amongst the rocks and beach below, I could see a Sanderling, Turnstones x 2, a Ringed Plover and several Gannets and Kittiwakes over the sea.
St Ninian's Tombola

 
Next stop was Maywick Farm and Beach, a beautiful beach and one that I have never seen anyone else on! Parked up my car at the end of the road. Checked the willows and scrub for migrants and found nothing. Fascinating to watch loads of Starlings and House Sparrows at a feeder containing fat balls in a pretty garden alongside the path to the beach. A very fierce sounding, but very tiny dog in the grounds of the opposite house, did not like my presence at all and wouldn't stop barking. Made my way down to the dramatic and stunning beach and spent a long time here – it was so beautiful. Razorbills were bobbing in the surf and Gannets were flying overhead, but not close enough for pictures. Fulmars and Turnstones were also seen. Took several pictures and a video and then returned to my car. I sneaked quietly passed the dog, but I didn't go unseen and the yapping started again! Good guard dog!

Cliffs at Maywick Beach
 
Starlings and House Sparrows at feeder in garden at Maywick
 
The garden with the bird feeder at Maywick


MAYWICK BEACH
 
SCALLOWAY
 
 
Stopped at Scalloway Harbour for lunch. Such a beautiful place and a lovely spot to gaze out across the harbour. A Seal appeared fairly close in to where I was parked. Took some pictures of the fishing boats and then headed to West Burra. Parked up in the car park for Meal Beach. It was very cold and it was a case of hat on, hood up and gloves on before I even started walking along the track. As I neared the beach, the view was stupendous and is described as one of the best beaches on Shetland. Turnstones flew up from the rocks around me and Starlings and House Sparrows were feeding on the beach! Before walking down the steps to the beach, I walked along the rocky edge to take some pictures and sat here for a short while. It was a job to hold my phone still enough to take pictures in the blustery wind. The sea was stunning green and turquoise colours and the sands were almost white – seaweed, dark rocks and sand dunes completed the scene. Several Razorbills were bobbing amongst the surf, 2 Shags, Gannets and Kittwakes also seen here. I took far too many pictures, just as I did the last time I was here. Climbed back up the steps in the howling wind, along the track and back to my car.

Razorbills at Meal Beach, West Burra

Meal Beach, West Burra – taken with Canon gear
 

 Meal Beach, West Burra – taken with Apple iPhone

 
Continued south towards Kettla Ness and stopped at Papil Loch, where there was a good number of birds including several Whooper Swans, 2 Mute Swans and I counted at least 80+ Wigeon here. Also a few Lapwing flew in as I was leaving. There is a restored and traditional thatched cottage just a few yards from the loch and it was fascinating to witness lots of Starlings feeding on something in the thatch on the roof!
Starlings and House Sparrows feeding on the roof of a thatched cottage
WEST BURRA
 
Whooper Swans, Mute Swans and Wigeon
Papil Loch, West Burra
 
Papil Loch, West Burra
 
Banna Minn Beach
 
 
Continued south as far as you can drive and parked up in the car park to walk to Banna Minn Beach – another beautiful beach, set along the west side of a stunning tombolo leading out to the Kettla Ness peninsula. Walked through the gate and descended down the track to the beach. I took a few pictures, but sadly had to leave quite quickly, as the sand gusting off the beach was pretty intense and swirling round in all directions, so had to return to the car.

I had an enjoyable drive home and even made it back before it was completely dark. Promptly fell asleep, cooked tea late, did the blog late and got to bed late! No change there!

No comments:

Post a Comment