SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 17 October 2021

SHETLAND TRIP – DAY 17: Easterlies! Red-flanked Bluetail & More!

I was up before dawn and even beat the Starlings and House Sparrows appearing on the lawn. I had also hoovered the cottage before sunrise! It was raining initially, but by the time I was ready to go out of the door it had stopped. I checked Levenwick out before some local birders arrived, but they did a far better job than me, searching all the fields and covered far more ground than me. I could have done the same, but still need to be very careful over uneven ground with my fractured toe (not confirmed) but must be, because it still hurts. Starlings and House Sparrows were feeding close by to the beach, but nothing else seen in the bay. Oh, I did see a Pied Wagtail flying across the road in Levenwick too.

Rain and sun, early morning from the cottage
 
Whimbrel's Cottage, Levenwick

Starlings and House Sparrows on the lawn
 
 
Apart from the many Starlings and House Sparrows around the gardens, the only find was a huge flock of Redwings in the garden that once had a Siberian Rubythroat in. I managed to get a poor picture of one of them! Redwings are incredibly difficult to photograph well – my late father had some good photos, but that's because he had put apples down for them and was photographing them from one of his home made hessian sack hides at the observatory – happy memories. Anyway, the Redwings were flying in from left to right across the driveway into a tree that was partially obscured from view and then something spooked them and they all flew off north east.

Whimbrel's Cottage, Levenwick
Taken from the beach – centre, back of picture
 
Starlings near the beach at Levenwick
 
Redwing, one of a flock of 50+ at Levenwick
 
Penny at Levenwick Beach
 

After checking Levenwick, my plan was start south at Sumburgh and work my way north, but plans often change! News came on the WhatsApp group of a Common Rosefinch at Quendale Water Mill, which is somewhere I was going to check out anyway, so went there first. The trees and bushes by the watermill were alive with loads of Starlings and House Sparrows. A birder was here and I asked him about the Rosefinch – he told me that birders had found it here before he arrived and it had flown off. Oh well! I walked through the gates and followed the track up the hill. Several flocks of Redwings exploded from the burn below and also several Meadow Pipits seen, but nothing else really of note. I was just on the way back to the car, when John F. phoned me to say "Bluetail", "where?" I said, thinking John meant there was one in Norfolk – no, he had very kindly phoned me to say there was one in Shetland and only just down the road at Hestingott! I hadn't noticed the WhatsApp message!

Meadow Pipits at Quendale Water Mill
 
 
I arrived in Hestingott and could see several birders here, standing near a garden, but they were not really looking, so I guessed the bluetail was not in sight. Cutting an incredibly long story short, it was the most elusive bluetail I've ever come across and it took me until 1.10pm before I saw it, with brief but good views in a garden next to a play area. Later on, I managed to get the worst smudgy picture ever too! But I shouldn't complain, its still a Red-flanked Bluetail and you can never tire of seeing these cracking little birds. Huge thanks to the finder, whoever it was. I also saw a Red Admiral butterfly here.
 
RED-FLANKED BLUETAIL
Garden in Hestingott
One of the worst pictures I've ever taken of a very elusive bluetail!
 
Black Guillemot at Grutness Pier
 

Headed south to Grutness pier as I was desperate for the loo (public toilets here) and then sat in my car having a very late lunch at about 2.30pm. Watched 2 Black Guillemots and 2 Razorbills fairly close by in the sunshine which was nice. Headed up to Sumburgh Head to check the quarries for migrants and the lighthouse garden (roses). Some birders were already in the quarry, so I gave this a miss and headed up to the lighthouse for the first time since I arrived. After parking in the RSPB mini car park, it started to rain, so waited for a bit and then the sun came out. The light over the cliffs with Fulmars and Kittiwakes cruising round, was stunning. Walked along the cliff top garden and found no migrants in there at all. Fair Isle was clearly visible in the wonderful light. Took a couple of videos, pictures and then spent a long time photographing the Fulmars. Bumped into Jacquie and Dave here too!

On route to Sumburgh Lighthouse
 
Scenery from Sumburgh Lighthouse
 

 
Fulmars at Sumburgh Lighthouse

Fair Isle from Sumburgh Lighthouse!
 
The Sumburgh House Hotel
 
Blackbird in the upper quarry at Sumburgh

Fulmars in the upper quarry at Sumburgh

Grutness Beach – I think, will check?

Boddam
 
 
I headed back down to the first quarry and had a good look round – aside from the resident Fulmars on the ledges in the quarry, I only managed to find a Blackbird and a Wren here. I returned to Hestingott, but didn't get out of the car as the light was fading, so rubbish for photography anyway. Headed south and stopped at Boddam where I saw several Seals lounging around, but no Otters seen. Back in Levenwick I decided to light the fire, which I haven't done many times – plus I got it going quite quickly this time! East winds again tomorrow, may bring something mega exciting?!

No comments:

Post a Comment