SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Thursday 21 October 2021

SHETLAND TRIP – DAY 21: Mossy Hill, Gulberwick & Lerwick!

Redwing at Mossy Hill
 

Firstly, I'm completely gutted to read on RBA this evening at 6.52pm that 3+ Orcas were seen at Troswick, Boddam!!! This is just south of me and I have never seen an Orca, so sad about this. The message didn't say what time or which way they were heading. 😢 The WhatsApp Cetacean group did say that someone had ".....seen a whale from Troswick, heading north. One large dorsal fin (probably orca?) Lost sight of it in the choppy water 11.45" But there were no further messages after that.

I spent far too long editing all my photos for the last six days last night and so up late today. All pictures now added to all posts. Here are the links: 14th October, 15th October, 16th October, 17th October, 18th October, 19th October and 20th October.

Redwings feeding at Mossy Hill
Just noticed the out of focus, pale chested bird at the back?!

Quarry at Mossy Hill

Garden at Gulberwick

Cute Hens in garden opposite the Kirk at Gulberwick
 

Went to Mossy Hill again this afternoon, checked out the two quarries – the larger quarry had no birds and the smaller one had a Blackbird and a Meadow Pipit. Saw Redwings and Blackbirds again, but significantly less than yesterday. The biggest flock I saw was in fields on the left, just before Henderson's Garage and Spiggie Beach. News on the WhatsApp group of Dolphins in Gulberwick Bay, had me heading north! The messenger updated with apologies and that they were Harbour Porpoises – I was there at that point anyway and saw the Harbour Porpoises distantly from a high road. Whilst I was here, I parked up by the Kirk and returned to the fabulous garden (now raining) and with permission, walked around parts of the garden and the burn again. Saw a Sparrowhawk and a few Redwings and Blackbirds, but nothing else seen.

Went into Lerwick to buy a few things from Tescos and then bought the best fish 'n'chips ever from Fort Cafe and Takeaway – there was a queue, but it was worth it. Sat in my car by the harbour just past Fjara cafe and enjoyed my tea! In the fading light, I could see a Heron by the rocks and some gulls. Drove home at about 6.30pm. Tomorrow will be a big tour day!

No comments:

Post a Comment