SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Saturday 23 October 2021

SHETLAND TRIP – DAY 22: Eshaness & Evening in A&E!!!

FRIDAY 22nd OCTOBER

Just home at 12.45am on Saturday and extremely tired! Quick summary, as typing this with one hand and full account will be posted another day – now completed!

A glorious, sunny day. Drove north to Eshaness for the first time. Incredible scenery and initially had a fabulous time. Its like a different world in this area, lochs seem bigger, vast moorlands and awesome views. It was blowing a 'hoolie' at the lighthouse and I could hardly stand up on the wind! I headed to Stenness beach and when I parked up, I was the only person here! Walked over the stile on the hill above the stony beach and then walked down to the shore. Sheep all around me and on the beach. Took lots of pictures here in beautiful sunshine. Walked through another stile and up onto the headland, where I spent a long time enjoying breathtaking scenery of stacks and crashing waves. I sat on a large log, where I presume many a person has sat and pondered for a while. Could I live here? Its more than tempting and something to seriously think about when I return to Norfolk. Sheep were eating seaweed amongst the rocks by a bay. So much to explore on this headland. Saw Fulmars, a few Redwings, Blackbirds and a Wren, but nothing else of particular note. Took some video and far too many pictures! Returned to the main beach.

I bent down to inspect an interesting stone and in a nano second, ruined my day – with my non-slip vibram soled muckboots.... my left foot slipped on a slippery boulder and I immediately fell forwards and reached out my left hand to save myself – this resulted in instant agony in the base of my thumb/hand. Slowly getting up, I realised I had injured my left ankle too and also felt pain in my right shin bone. I was furious with myself! I couldn't have been any further away from The Gilbert Bain Hospital in Lerwick!!! Hobbled back up the hill to my car. Rummaged about in the first aid kit and took ibuprofen. Also bandaged my hand, but this made the pain a million times worse, so removed it. Rested my injured left hand on an ice pack from my cool bag and drove to the hospital. It was a very long and painful drive to A&E – arrived at about 6.30pm.

Met and chatted to several local people in the waiting room which was nice, including a lovely lady from Unst who told me that there was always work available on Unst, which surprised me – "there's always work if you want it there" she said. The lady spoke of her love of the island from when she first moved there about 25 years ago and she described it as like being on holiday the entire time – she and her husband were obviously very happy there. Anyway, I eventually was seen at seen at just after 11.30pm!!! Apologies from the very nice doctor, who said they had had an exceptionally busy night of emergencies and he had stayed on past his 4pm shift finish to help out – he must have been exhausted, but remained very polite and professional. The doctor said he thought I had sprained my left ankle and strongly suspects I had a scaphoid and metacarpal fracture in my left hand and I need to come back tomorrow (Saturday) for an X-ray. I was given a Futura hand splint for support by a nurse, which made it feel more comfortable. Good job I took out holiday insurance – will need to ring them in morning. Supposed to be going on ferry on Sunday. Really don't know what will happen until tomorrow.

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment