SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Wednesday 27 October 2021

SHETLAND TRIP – DAY 27: St Ninian's Isle!

Took my hand splint off today and started moving the thumb 'normally'! Not too bad, better than I expected, still aches though. Another day of sun, rain and strong winds!

Saw some nice birds today at St Ninian's Isle, but nothing rare. Its the first time I have actually walked across the tombola, what a stunning place! I have never seen so many Purple Sandpipers before! I initially counted 4, but then the final count was 15, also had 15 Ringed Plovers, 50+ Turnstones, 5 Sanderlings, 3 Rock Pipits and all of these were in the far eastern most corner, where there was lots of seaweed. Also 3 Hooded Crows, one seal watching me and sadly another dead. I found a very striking orange Northern Wheatear, which looked newly arrived on the beach – it was gusted around in the wind and ended up flying north over the cliff, not to be seen again.

On the isle itself, I had one Snipe flushed from dead thistles and lots of Redwings, sheep and rain – I was drenched, even in my waterproof gear! On the sea (east side) I had a close in Red-throated Diver, 3 Long-tailed Ducks and Fulmars flying round the cliffs. Initially I was the only person on the beach, but later there were around six people, can you imagine that at Wells in Norfolk?!!! One person with a dog and that was on a lead the entire time! Its a different world here! Mind you, I'm sure its a bit more crowded in the Summer time.

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment