SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Friday 29 October 2021

SHETLAND TRIP – DAY 29: Chasing Orcas!

I was just getting myself together, when news of 6 Orcas via the WhatsApp Cetacean group, were reported off Sumburgh Head at 8.45am! Scrambled out of the door, with things not done and headed to Sumburgh! Half way up to Sumburgh Head, I got out of the car to scan the sea and a couple in a car stopped – the lady wound down the window to ask if I was ok. I must have looked stressed (I was), so I started to explain that I was looking for Orcas and she replied with a big smile "yes, we've seen those at Sumburgh Head.... they were going around the headland and coming this way" (from this I took it that she meant towards the Sumburgh Hotel). "oh" I said, "were you the ones who put the news out?" "oh no" she replied, "we just saw them". No words...... gutted!

I can't remember if I phoned Hugh H. or he phoned me, but anyway, he recommended I stand either at Scatness or West Voe – he was at Quendale Bay and several people were standing at different points along the coast trying to see them. News also came on the WhatsApp group of "Orcas also off Vaila, West Mainland" (much further north). At West Voe I saw 30+ Long-tailed Ducks in the rain and fog. I became quite cold, as I had not dressed properly and didn't have my waterproof overtrousers on, so attempted to put these on in wind and rain in the car park! A local man turned up who said he had been standing here since 'early' and not seen them and he was now going to Grutness. Desperate to see the Orcas, I decided to follow him, so ended up at Grutness and no sign of them. Returned to West Voe and stood here scanning for a good while. Nobody else stationed around the southern end had any more sightings.

I returned to Levenwick to have breakfast etc. Hugh had suggested that Sandness can be a good place to be stationed if the Orcas continue north and I was planning on going in that direction anyway. My original plans for today was birding early, then meeting up with Rebecca N. for a coffee and then head to Walls, which I have not done yet this trip. Poor Rebecca has now been cancelled twice for our coffee and catch up – its a good job she is a birder and naturalist and understands, hopefully, sorry!!!

It was so foggy outside, that I could hardly see the bus stop opposite the cottage – sensibly I should have stayed at home and chilled and on hindsight I wish so much that I had! But I really wanted to see Orcas and was NOT going to miss any chance of seeing them. So off I headed north to Sandness. The fog continued and at one point I was considering turning back. All cars had their fog lights on. I discovered where the famous Lea Gardens were and stood in the driveway to scan for the Western Bonelli's Warbler, but the weather was dire and no luck with that. Moments after I arrived at Sandness, news came through of "3 or 4 Orcas now heading out from Gulberwick bay, look to be heading S/W at 2.54pm". NOOOOOOO!!!!!! Gulberwick is only 13 miles north of Levenwick!!! Maybe there wouldn't be any more sightings?

On my last visit to Sandness (two years ago) it was sunny and scenic, not so today! Mind you, it was far less foggy here. Still a beautiful place whatever the weather though. A good number of birds here, including Starlings, Purple Sandpipers, Turnstones, Rock Pipits, Starlings and Hooded Crows, all feeding amongst the seaweed on the beach. By the pier I watched two inquisitive Seals close by, several Red-throated Divers and what was almost certainly 4 Great Northern Divers distantly, but not 100%. Also Eiders, Razorbills, Fulmars and a close flyby Kittiwake. I scanned and scoped desperately for my own Orcas. Drove to Huxter to another viewing point and scanned again. On route from here, as I headed back along the road I had a female Blackcap in some scrub, which got me excited until I could see it properly!

The next Orca message came up at 4.22pm "heading south around Helliness" My heart sank, I knew there was no way I was going to get there before dark. I headed south in atrocious and foggy conditions. Really, I should have returned south when the first 2.54pm message came out – big mistake Penelope! The next message was Hugh H. "Orcas now Mousa Sound at 4.40pm" (which is Sandwick). My heart sank further. The last message was at 5.23pm "Orcas at Noness heading south". No further messages as it was almost completely dark! The next chance of seeing them (had it been light enough), would have been Levenwick! You couldn't make it up!

I arrived at the pull in area just above the Levenwick turn off at about 5.40pm. It was raining hard and my new Swarovski NL Pure 8x42 bins allowed me to see more than I thought in the dark, but even they were not going to help me see Orcas in non-visible and dark conditions! Refusing to give up, I had headed to the beach. Parked the car and stood on the beach in pouring rain. The visibility lower down was actually better than where I had been standing in the layby, but still no Orcas. I returned home feeling very very fed up. Fell asleep and dozed on the sofa, didn't cook tea, ate chocolate to console myself (any excuse) and then woke up late evening.

Last full day tomorrow and even though I feel I've done a pretty good job of adding photos this trip (up until 21st October), I have now got behind and no more will be added until I return to Norfolk, unless of course I see something mega before I leave! Maybe I will get lucky with Orcas tomorrow?! I'm staying south, I know that much! That Siberian Rubythroat hasn't turned up yet either – fingers crossed!

PICTURES TO BE ADDED

No comments:

Post a Comment