SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 21 January 2024

SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, Beluga Whale and A Near Death Experience!

Rare  Bird  Alert  News 
 Beluga Whale  still off West Ayre, Hillswick. Glaucous Gull at Pool of Virkie. Glaucous Gull at Sumburgh. Hen Harrier at Sumburgh Farm. Kumlien's Gull, Iceland Gulls x 3 at Uyeasound, Unst.

https://www.nature-shetland.co.uk/latest-sightings

Moving on Tuesday instead now.

I couldn't write what happened today on the day, so will update briefly now on 24th January.

I drove to Hillswick and with others, had the most incredible and amazing views of my first distant Beluga Whale in very cold weather, but stunning blue skies and sunshine. Just wow! Got some record shots, but nothing more, will add them to this post at some point.

On the way home I had my first ever serious car accident and ended up going through a fence and down hill into a ditch. It was one of the most terrifying moments of my life and as I saw the ditch coming, I thought that was it. Luckily it wasn't and nobody else was involved at all. I got out of the car, completely unscathed, but was in serious shock at what had happened. Loads of very kind people rushed to the scene, which I thank you for and especially to a lovely young couple. Ambulance and police arrived etc.

The airbags didn't go off and no windows in the car were smashed or cracked that I could see, but nearly all panels were affected in some way or other and headlights and grill smashed at the front. The car had landed on a large drain pipe on the left hand side, so it wasn't going to look pretty underneath. I knew this was the end of the car. 

The police very kindly helped me to empty the car, which at this point, involved us walking down to the ditch with torches in complete darkness and trying to empty a car slightly on its side – it took ages with my camera gear and other stuff I had started to pack for the move. Something I didn't feel like doing at this moment in time, but it had to be done. The police kindly took me home and dropped off my stuff and I just sat on the sofa and didn't move for several hours. I couldn't believe what had just happened.

I had asked Norma at Ian Reid Removals the day before, if there was any chance of doing my move on Tuesday instead of Monday as the high winds and rain looked atrocious for moving. Unbeknown to me earlier in the afternoon before my accident, she had emailed back to agree to moving me Tuesday. I saw this when I returned home and the relief was enormous, not because of the weather, but because I had lots more packing to do, which I would have finished by now if it were not for my accident and there was no way mentally, I could move tomorrow after what had just happened.

So in summary, my lovely Rallye Green Skoda (just a box of metal at the end of the day) has gone forever, but no one else was hurt and nor was I. I've had that car since new and the money that I will be offered from the insurance will not buy me anywhere near a quality car as this was. I just wanted to hide under a duvet for a week, but I had no choice but to re-focus. I was moving in one day. The lovely Jill Wilson was extremely supportive and said she would come over and help me on move day, which was very kind of her indeed.

1 comment:

  1. There will come a time when you’re settled in your beautiful home and admiring the fantastic views when you will realise that it was all worth the hassle.

    ReplyDelete