SHETLAND BIRD NEWS, PHOTOS, BIRDING, LIFE AND MORE! MY 14th YEAR ANNIVERSARY 2024!


Ring RARE BIRD ALERT with your sightings to: 01603 456789 or Hotline: 0207 0382820 or Text: 07520 634324
All Bird News & Megas via The Rare Bird Alert Website – Subscribe To RBA For Detailed News & Much More!

OVER TEN MILLION VIEWS! If you would like to advertise here, please contact me at [pennyclarke@talktalk.net]

Sunday 28 January 2024

SHETLAND BIRD NEWS & MORE!

Rare  Bird  Alert  News 

Glaucous Gulls x 2 at Pool of Virkie. Iceland Gull at Boddam. Glaucous Gull, Iceland Gull at Shetland Catch, Gremista, Lerwick.
 
 
I woke up at 12.30pm and have been incapable of doing a thing. Went for a short walk to wake myself up and discovered that I have bought a house in a VERY sheltered spot thank goodness. At the bottom of my road along the harbour, it was an entirely different world! The wind was SO strong, I felt like I was going to be whisked away – I'm not exaggerating at all! It was almost hilarious to be honest, I have never experienced wind like it! If there are any 'locals' reading this and thinking "this is normal for Shetland Penny", it shows its quite rare to have gusts that strong, as several of the locals here were saying how severe it was and an elderly gentlemen remarked it was like a 'wind tunnel' in one part of the street and he seemed concerned about reaching his home after I heard him chatting to a lady in a shop.
 
Had a lovely time browsing in the Scalloway Butchers and Stores and bought a few food items – there is an excellent selection of goods here, including DIY, house items and greetings cards upstairs and then another exciting room selling Shetland crafts by various artists. After struggling to open the shop door, I was then carried by the wind, back up to my house on the hill! Did a WhatsApp video call with Vivien and Ray to show them the views from the house of the harbour and castle and outside in the garden – three Collared Doves were in the sycamores opposite my house. I've not had the energy to arrange plants or put bird feeders up yet, hopefully next weekend.

I still can't believe I'm living in this unique and gorgeous little house and in such a stunning location. Very sad that my little green Skoda is not sitting in the drive, but nothing I can do about that now. The last couple of weeks has been absolute hell, but hopefully that will all fade over time.
 
Scalloway Harbour this afternoon

1 comment: